Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kinky steering shaft
tegwin

posted on 25/2/07 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Kinky steering shaft

I thought I was doing so well!!! Got the suspension all sorted and bolted into place, place the new steering rack into place to mark out its holes and figure I should check that the steering input shaft fits...

IT DOESNT!!!

Because the new rack is that much shorter, the input spline has been moved firther into the centre of the car (about 3 inches) which means that I cant connect the steering shaft to the rack because the exhaust headers and alternator are in the way

Now there are two solutions in my eyes..

#1...move the alternator..(quick job) and get a new set of headers...(rediculusly oexpensive!(

#2...'Dog-leg' the steering shaft around the obstructions...

My thoughts on that are to run the steering shaft down the edge of the car where it has maximum space and connect it to a pair of pillow block type bearings bolted to the chassis....from this fixed shaft have another linkage with two flexi joints on connecting the bearing blocks to the rack...

Should look ok, but it might give the steering a bit more 'flop'...

Any thoughts? Rescued attachment Steering idea skecth.JPG
Rescued attachment Steering idea skecth.JPG

RazMan

posted on 25/2/07 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
It is perfectly ok to put two U/Js in a column - three might give a little more play but you shouldn't have any major problems IMO

[Edited on 25-2-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 25/2/07 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Been there done that! I put a bearing on both sections of the dog leg rather than two on the one section. ATM my steering is a bit stiff but has no play when I loosen it there is rather more play than is good. I am hoping it will wear in a bit!

Caber
PS also moved alternator, made a new bracket then got a Nissan Micra alternator so it all fits

[Edited on 2/25/2007 by caber]

tegwin

posted on 25/2/07 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm..makes me feel better that other people have fallen into the same hole as me...

Caber, do you have a picture or two of your solution?

When I come to make up the dogleg and various other bits of the steering shaft what are the SVA rules regarding welding of the shaft etc?

My plan is to use salvaged UJs and steering shafts from various vehicles and coble something together....I will proberably buy new bearings though for the support mount..

Hmm...

Dunc

caber

posted on 26/2/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Will get photos next weekend. I used a Range Rover down link it has 3 joints in it, one is a rubber joint which i cut up to make one end of th eadaptor. I made bearings myself with nylon running on turned sections of the shaft. I welded the shaft in a couple of places by cutting a deep V welding the bottom then filling with some additional passes, the extension tube is 4mm wall and did a standard weld to the downshaft and the cut up section of range rover shaft.

Caber

MikeRJ

posted on 26/2/07 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
My plan is to use salvaged UJs and steering shafts from various vehicles and coble something together....I will proberably buy new bearings though for the support mount..

Many people have used rod ends (e.g. Rose joints) as supporting bearings for steering columns. Cheap enough for the quality that would be required in that application.

trextr7monkey

posted on 26/2/07 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Go LHD and beat the Europeans to it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Liam

posted on 26/2/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
there's no benefit to having two supports on one piece of shaft - just use the one. Have a look in my photo archive for a convoluted steering column

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Lane

posted on 26/2/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Try finding a Transit in scrappers. Theres a short steering link on engine inner bulkhead with two swivel joints on it.
rusty nuts

posted on 26/2/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mk 3 Fiestas and Ka's have them as well IIRC

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.