Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old Bint
graememk

posted on 20/5/07 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Old Bint

just had an old bint knock at my door with a petition and handed me a copy. she going to send a copy to my landlord as she knows my house is rented and a copy to the police and a copy to the council complaining about the noise my "illegal race car" makes and they want me removed from a nice area where they have come to retire

it should be fun when i get a reply as i own my house but i rent it from my company as i also own a few other properties two on the same street (so i'll be renting them out to some rastas now lol), when the police come to look at noise my car at sva was only 96db

i'm just off outside now to train my dog to poo on her grass every time i walk past

i hate old moaning people, so i'm now going to have a all weekend lotus 7 replica BBQ cars welcome no silencers on street parking provided .....

rant over.....

Confused but excited.

posted on 20/5/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Now you know that you should not make any noise in the morning, in the evening, or when they are asleep in the afternoon, you inconsiderate sod.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

marcjagman

posted on 20/5/07 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Of course the older generation always come up with "we never did that when we were young" of course they didn't the damn things weren't invented then otherwise they would. I was fortunate as my very recently departed mother realised this so was very tolerable and just made comparasons, i.e if we could have driven at 125mph we probably would have done.
chockymonster

posted on 20/5/07 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
How many people signed the petition!

I do love busybodies, the best thing to do as the landlord is arrange to meet her face to face

That should nicely shut her up.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 20/5/07 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go and talk to everyone on the petition to find out if they actually have a problem, or just signed to get rid of her. Especially the tenants in the houses you own.

I'd be tempted to get hold of some hemp seeds and plant them in her garden late at night. In a couple of weeks/months if she hasn't weeded them out call in the drugs squad.

p.s. just make sure your car is strictly road legal in case plod bother to turn up.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

nitram38

posted on 20/5/07 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
What hours do you run the car?
If it is 7am untill 11pm I don't think that they have an issue.
They can't do a thing especially that your car is under sva sound limit.
Police are not interested in this sort of thing.
The local council might stick their nose in, but when you show them the sva, they will soon give up.

imp paul

posted on 20/5/07 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
re old bid

just pop round to her gaf and beat her with a big fish lol
blakep82

posted on 20/5/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
How many people signed the petition!

I do love busybodies, the best thing to do as the landlord is arrange to meet her face to face

That should nicely shut her up.

lol, yeah, send her a note from the landlord, saying he'dd like to talk face to face about the situation. her face will be a picture when you turn up yourself

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Fatgadget

posted on 20/5/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
What I have found with old dears is they will like you if you talk to them. You can get away with all sorts if you do trust me!
oadamo

posted on 20/5/07 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
i had the same prob with the people that live next door. i was reving my bike gpz100rx no pipes on she put her head out the window and gave me a load of mouth. when the next time it came to renew there tennancy i went around knocked there door and told them to get out. they didnt no i let it throw angency.
the look on there faces said it all. what gos around comes around
adam

wilkingj

posted on 20/5/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
What I have found with old dears is they will like you if you talk to them. You can get away with all sorts if you do trust me!

Agreed, Dialogue is definately the best way.
When I put in for planning permission for my 45ft Radio mast (3 section, wind up, lowest position is only 6 metres high)

I got a Mass objection, 11 letters from different neighbours (well ALL of them) to the council objecting on every ground you could think of.
I got copies of the letters from the council, as the planning file is public domain. (£14 for up to 32 pages copied!!)

Then I wrote a nice reply to the council, dismantling the objections with logic, fact, technical rebuttal and a huge dose of politeness.

I got my permission and most of the neighbours were OK about it afterwards, when they couldnt see most of it!.

Dont do silly things, do everything by the book, or it shows you in bad light, and probably the council environmental chaps will have the biggest say when it comes to the noise issue. SVA or not, they will come and measure it. However, the SVA will be a useful bit of paper. I take it you still have the same silencer on as was used for the SVA??.

Be sensible, and do it properly. Best of all go and talk to her, and be polite, but firm and fair.
Dont pressurise your tennants, as that could go against you isare on her side.
But get their views anyway.

Good one on the Landlord angle. But dont take the piss, Old people can dig their heels in and be very awkward, as they probably dont have anything to do other than think about your car.

good luck...

I suppose you can tell her you are moving 'cos of all the upset you have caused...

Then.......... Move to the house that you rent out, that is nearest to hers

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Duncan_P

posted on 20/5/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe you should start a petition of your own about how interfering busy body neighbours are bringing the tone of the street down

I'll sign it

Duncan_P

posted on 20/5/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

When I put in for planning permission for my 45ft Radio mast (3 section, wind up, lowest position is only 6 metres high)

Slightly stealing wilkingj idea......

If you really wanted to annoy her you could put in for planning permission for a sodding great wind turbine in a few weeks once the planning laws have changed.....

(sorry shouldnt be promoting ideas of how to be a terrible neighbour)

jon_boy

posted on 20/5/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have a scimitar with an essex v6 that has no silencers at the moment. And i like BBQ's. He he.
graememk

posted on 20/5/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
in fairness i only drive past her house on the way out and the way back, so its not like i sit outside running the engine up all the time and she lives 7 doors up the road.

i didnt even build the car at my house so the neighbours didnt have to listen to my hammering grinding and weilding.

where i live you arnt alowed large vans boats trailers caravans etc at the front of the house so i've written a letter and posted it to the council rf her house as there is a sign written van and caravan in the drive they also have white pvc windows which arnt alowed here as they have to be brown

he he he i feel better now

martyn_16v

posted on 21/5/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
The silly old bint should be thankful she doesn't have our neighbours. As I am typing this there is currently a dead body next door, police are sat around outside waiting for the black ambulance to turn up. Was the neighbours daughters 1st birthday party yesterday, one of his mateys stayed over and died of an overdose sometime during the night. Nice party

Is wrong of me to hope it's the same mate who also broke into four of the garages here the other week to 'get his bike out because no one was in when he called'...

MikeRJ

posted on 21/5/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
Was the neighbours daughters 1st birthday party yesterday, one of his mateys stayed over and died of an overdose sometime during the night. Nice party

Look on the bright side, that's one less pollutant in the gene pool. Pretty sick really, turning a 1 year olds birthday into a drugs session.

[Edited on 21/5/07 by MikeRJ]

coozer

posted on 21/5/07 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Get out in the car and do a few doughnuts outside her house!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Castrol Dave

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think you should leave the old folk alone.....

Er [cencered] to all that, get her over for tea and give her a good slappin.

Happiness is a state of mind...

If your not happy...change your mind.

blakep82

posted on 21/5/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Get out in the car and do a few doughnuts on her flont garden!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

coozer

posted on 21/5/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear, been hijacked!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DIY Si

posted on 21/5/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't suggest doing much yourself. However, there are more than a few of us on here who drive with full skid lids on. And number plates do have a terrible habit of falling off at the most awkward of times!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

NS Dev

posted on 21/5/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would also be incenced, but the reality is (as my also elderly nextdoor neighbour also did this to me) that the council won't do anything.

They called round and I wasn't in, so they rang me, and I then called them back. In my most well spoken and polite voice (which I really can turn on when necessary ) I explained the situation, that it was all in decent hours, that I wasn't running a business etc etc, and they were fine.

I then toured round to next door, and asked why she had called the council instead of me directly. I shot down all of her extremely poor arguments, and cited examples such as her barking dog waking me at all hours, and her house alarm going off randomly doing the same, and what might happen if she lost both of those because of noise complaints................

I then suggested that maybe live and let live was a good idea, as i certainly don't need any conflict, and she would probably live in misery if she started one.

I have had no trouble since, I felt slightly sorry for making her cry so much over the dog suggestion, and took her a bunch of nice flowers, and now make a point of enquiring if she is ok regularly, and doing trivial helpful tasks now and again, keeps her sweet.

I also have a new, and really sound, neighbour, who also has a number of noisy cars, so that makes things easier too!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

PeterW

posted on 22/5/07 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
We've had the nimbys round over the past weekend too...

Over the past year, we have extended the house (garage and workshop.... ) and now landcaped the back garden. Our boundary was behind an old hedgrow which bordered some council green space but the cowboys, sorry developers, who built the houses put the fence up in front of the hedge as it was easier... We've now moved it, as have our neighbours...

We have letters from the council saying its our hedge etc and do what we want, and as long as its less than 2m tall the fence is within permitted developments etc, but even so, we've still got f^&*ing dog walkers who don't even live near us saying they will report us to the council for 'land grabbing...'

The irony...? The council have gained 6ft of grass (reseeded by me...) and the kids who used to sniff glue under the hedge have no-where to go now...! A few of the 'complainants' soon changed their tune when they heard about the stuff I found under the hedge....

Roll on next weekend and the next battle...

Cheers

Pete

David Jenkins

posted on 22/5/07 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I would go for the totally over-the-top friendly approach - but make sure it's witnessed by friends (yours and hers) and neighbours so that you can say that you've always tried to be reasonable.

Explain to her nicely that you own the house, the car is totally legal and above board, that you don't go out of your way to offend anyone, and so on. Lay the BS on with a trowel, and convince her that you're a nice guy. Maybe even take her a bunch of flowers!

Perhaps you could even offer her a ride in your car - though I would suggest a gentle pootle round the local roads rather than a mad blat!

A friendly, or maybe just tolerant, neighbour is better than a constant state of animosity. And if you upset her, you may find other neighbours taking her side ("Oh, that nasty man is bothering that poor old woman again!" )

Just my 2p's worth...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.