Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Relay's
mad-butcher

posted on 3/7/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Relay's

Evening All
Just finished chopping odd bits out of the R1 harness and I'm not quite ready to start the engine yet, But I've noticed the following ... When I power the wiring up the fuel pump runs for about 10 seconds then the relay clicks and it stops running, now if I press the starter button the pump starts running again then stops as previously described, Is this normal for the R1 or have I chopped a wire out that I shouldn't have
many thanks
Tony
Sorry should have said it's an early carbed model 4xv i think, also no fuel tank or fuel pipes fitted

[Edited on 3/7/07 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 3/7/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Most injection pumps will reach a set pressure and cut out.
When you have confirmed yours as working, any chance of a list of bits that you removed?
I have an 05 engine and I expect I will be stripping a lot out too!

Dillinger1977

posted on 3/7/07 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
when i put the key in and turn it on for power (not ignition), I hear a series of clicks from the fuel pump that get progressively slower as it build up pressure (over a period of a few seconds)
once its done this, it wont do it again for a fair while.

oh, and I'm not sure its good to have the fuel pump trying to pump with nothing for it to do. if its giving up after 10 seconds you could be breaking it. (i think my first one went in this fashion!)

[Edited on 3/7/07 by Dillinger1977]

-Rog

zxrlocost

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
hi tony its because you have no tank lines or petrol going to it

you might damage your fuel pump if you do this often

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

rusty

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
A fair few ECU's will run the pump for a set amount of time when the ing is turned on. Also as said the ECU will also run the pump for a few seconds after the starter is released and engine has not started.

I have a pump with no pressure cut out and it does this so I know it is the ECU cutting it out and not the pump. This might be differnt on a bike as i'm talking cars.

[Edited on 3/7/07 by rusty]

zxrlocost

posted on 3/7/07 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
A bike pump clicks whilst it fills the bowl

after it fills it it stops clicking

yours most likely keeps clicking because as I said theres no fuel in it

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.