Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starting issues
DIY Si

posted on 8/8/07 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Starting issues

Right, having given up on the injection for my engine and gone back to carbs (which I feel much happier about, since I don't know a huge amount about injection set ups yet) I'm still having problems. The engine turns over fine, and tries to fire on number 3 and 4 cylinders only. It's not the coils, as I changed them over and it's still the same. The only thing I can find is that the plugs on 3 and 4 come out wet. Could it be over fuelling on these two, and under on the others? The sparks are fine, all 4 plugs are firing. I had taken the carbs apart to clean them, as they hadn't been used in years. Is there something I could've missed?
Your thoughts please gents!
Oh, is there anyone near me with a compression tester I could borrow, just in case this could be a related issue?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

02GF74

posted on 8/8/07 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
yes - have you checked the needle valve in the float chamber is sealing?

it wouldn't surprise me if thius is stuck partailly open after a time of non use to allow too much fuel in, but then again, it may not be but is simple eunough to check.

BenB

posted on 8/8/07 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Are the plugs definitely firing when under compression? Wet plugs won't always fire properly and plugs will sometimes fire when @ atmospheric pressure but fail to fire when compressed @ 10:1!! Have you tried swapping the plugs over to see if it makes any difference.... I've found that (particularly with bike plugs for some reason) once they get saturated and wet they're permanently shagged despite many different attempts to dry them out and revive them....

Colourtune is your friend in a case like this. You'll be able to see if its definitely firing (and if it is what the spark looks like) and by looking at the flame work out whether the plugs are wet because the mixture is rich or because they're not firing and just getting coated...

A compression test is a sensible precaution when it comes to chasing down problems like this though...

Edited to say I've got a comp tester and a colortune I can lend but it's probably a bit too far....

[Edited on 8/8/07 by BenB]

bartonp

posted on 8/8/07 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Check timing and HT leads in the right place!
zetec7

posted on 8/8/07 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I would suspect timing as well. 90% of starting problems are ignition-related rather than induction-related, in my experience. If there's spark there, and fuel & compression, the only thing left is timing...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 8/8/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Timing adjustment?

Not many bike engines have adjustable timing without power commanders or similar electronic equipment. Bike plugs don't like flooding so I'd invest in a new set of plugs and a carb inspection before you try starting it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

zxrlocost

posted on 8/8/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
look down the carbs as you try to start it

is the end carbs flooding in as opossed to spraying it in

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

DIY Si

posted on 8/8/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Right, had a look and the two that are trying to fire are leaking fuel into the engine! The other two plugs are coming out dry, so I suspect these two aren't getting any/enough fuel.
The timing isn't adjustable on the bird lump, so there's not a lot I can do. As said, the coils have been changed over and the leads too. All that does is blow back through the carbs! I'll give the crabs a more complete clean and see what happens.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

David Jenkins

posted on 8/8/07 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I'll give the crabs a more complete clean and see what happens.

Can't have dirty crabs, can we...

DIY Si

posted on 8/8/07 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.