Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ups & downs of progress.
jollygreengiant

posted on 11/10/07 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Ups & downs of progress.

Well I'm in the middle of a week of work. So I've been a tinkering in the garage. Program was to be remove engine & gearbox and fit hydraulic clutch components to gearbox. Refit gearbox, WITH new propshaft. Refit engine. Have a little saunter up & down under own steam for the first time.
So I pull car back and get out engine hoist. Get engine ready to lift out.

Problem 1. Can't find lifting chains ANYWHERE. Never mind I'll just have to use seatbelt webbing.

Hook up engine & begin lift.

Problem 2. Hoist needs jack oil, can't find my large syringe for jack filling either. Turn house upside down. At 3rd look around I find syringe in draw where it normally lives and where I've now looked 4 times. (blind numpty).

Anyway I pull engine & gear box and fit hydraulic slave.
Slave cylider mounted
Slave cylider mounted

then made a cover plate for the old release arm hole.
Armhole cover plate & hose
Armhole cover plate & hose

While I had the box out I thought I'd check the fit of the propshaft. It fitted like a glove.

Problem 3. How ever I couldn;t turn it because it was fouling on the remote gearchange extension by close on a quarter of an inch.

So I have had to take the extension off for the time being. I think I would have to remove too much to be able to use it.

So I put the engine back in and today I just have all the little bits to put back on again.

Problem 4 (may be). Whilst sitting here typing this out and up loading pictures, I can't help but think that I can't remember if I tightened up the bleed hose where it screws into the slave cylinder.

AAAAAARRRGHHHHHHHHH.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

stevec

posted on 11/10/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I had to have a propshaft made with a smaller front U/J housing, I think its a common problem with the gear stick remote extensions
Steve.

nick205

posted on 11/10/07 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a pretty average day's build activity really

It's the little things that try the patience.

ditchlewis

posted on 11/10/07 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
is that a type 9? if so where did you get the kit and how much did it cost?

ditch

Dave J

posted on 11/10/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Problem 2. Hoist needs jack oil, can't find my large syringe for jack filling either. Turn house upside down. At 3rd look around I find syringe in draw where it normally lives and where I've now looked 4 times. (blind numpty

Blimey! if my missus saw that she'd say;

"Told you !! typical man!, you blokes never look properly....you muppet!!"

My missus decided to tidy up the garage a while ago while I was out the way.

What a disaster, all those tools I carefully arranged around the general area, now secreted in that mysterious black hole only known to SWMBO as 'somewhere safe'........aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!

Anyway great to know the builds coming on a pace.

Newark next year by any chance??

All the best

Dave

NeilP

posted on 11/10/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good, Clive - Keep it going mate and you'll have a winter wonder on your hands.

No way you can (easily) get the engine back more? What about cutting out the small cross bar on the top of the tunnel, welding two new ones in front and behind the gearstick where it then comes out?...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

jollygreengiant

posted on 11/10/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeilP
Looking good, Clive - Keep it going mate and you'll have a winter wonder on your hands.

No way you can (easily) get the engine back more? What about cutting out the small cross bar on the top of the tunnel, welding two new ones in front and behind the gearstick where it then comes out?...

Not really easy at this stage, I could go back maybe 1.5inches, BUT I'd then have to replace the propshaft, Reposition the gearbox lower mountings, and move the top tunnel bar. As it is at the moment its a pain in the proverbial, but the gaer stick is only just to the front of this bar so its not that bad. Plus then there is the hole for where the gear stick was coming out, well its not that bad "I have a cunning plan my Lord Black Adder" to quote a certain series. And after this plan it would be dificult to see where it was.

The only thing is the more I think about it the more I know that have to take the engine out again just to check that hose.

As for Stoneleigh, I have got a schedule that I'd like to work to and so far its not looking that bad.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jollygreengiant

posted on 11/10/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Actually looking at the photos, if I undo that plastic cover I might be able to get a spanner and my huge dabs somewhere close to checking that hose fitting without taking the engine out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.