Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Now I know I don't want one!
David Jenkins

posted on 30/10/07 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Now I know I don't want one!

Before I start, I wish to say that this is not a 4x4 bashing topic... honest!

I was going down the M25 last Friday, in the outside lane, following a fairly new Range Rover (or something out of that stable). Traffic was heavy, and quite a few people were swapping lanes - not dangerously, just to stay in a freely moving lane.

The Range Rover started to move from the outside lane into the middle one, then before he crossed the white line he changed his mind and turned back into the outside lane... at which point he nearly flipped the car! I have never seen a car wallow so much at 75+ mph - he was so close to losing it. The poor driver did end up moving into the middle lane mostly because it was only doing 60 mph - I think he wanted to wait until his heart rate had returned to somewhere near normal before speeding up again (or maybe he wanted to check his underpants...).

I think I'll stick to a saloon car for motorways, and leave the 4x4 for mud-plugging...

David

balidey

posted on 30/10/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I borrowed an X5 for a weekend, and after taking one corner as if i was in a proper / normal car (gentle corner at legal speeds) I decided that 50 is about the limit for any sort of corner in one.

And the fact that I get dazzled by them all the time because their headlights are at the same level as my rear view mirror don't help either.

David Jenkins

posted on 30/10/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
It's the zig-zag manoeuvre that gets them every time - it's a cruel test of any car, but the high and heavy cars suffer the worst, especially at high speed.

As I said, I was in the car behind it, so I had a vested interest in whatever was about to happen!

I love speed :-P

posted on 30/10/07 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well you know I like our off roader; but you are 100% correct in saying they are crap at high speeds as wobbly suspension helps off road which added to the high weight and high CoG means they roll a bit and a bit more and people just drive them to fast.

However you can make off roaders handle quite well, just look at the speeds they do in the dakar etc and they don't roll over. But really every one should drive one of these
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1245751998694395737&q=dakar+truck&total=95&start=0&num=10&so=4&type=search&plindex =2

[Edited on 30/10/2007 by I love speed :-P]

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 30/10/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Just about every serious motorway incident i've seen with a 4x4 and a car the 4x4 for whatever reason has been on its roof!.... and there supposedly safer how?
Danozeman

posted on 30/10/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just about every serious motorway incident i've seen with a 4x4 and a car the 4x4 for whatever reason has been on its roof!.... and there supposedly safer how?

Very true. I have seen a few flipped with caravans and trailers on the back. Once they start to snake with something on the back youv had it even with the stabiliser bars.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

russbost

posted on 30/10/07 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
I love speed - that is an awesome video clip & I am a professed 4x4 hater. Perhaps if we included that experience as part of the driving test we'd have a lot fewer di**head drivers!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MK Charlie

posted on 31/10/07 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
my friend has 1 of those porsche 4x4 thingy's (not a real 4x4 i know) and i would almost go as far as saying it would out handle my newest shape toyota celica. it just sticks to the road, but building confidence to put it round corners at speed is a whole different kettle of fish.
David Jenkins

posted on 31/10/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I love that video - now where can I get myself one of those Russian trucks?

It's also an excellent illustration of what 4x4s are REALLY all about!

02GF74

posted on 31/10/07 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7

What a strange thing to say.

If you drive any car beyond its limits, it will end up on its roof. Try the same manoeuvre in a double decker bus or an articulated lorry, the result would be the same.

Idiotic driving does not mean the vehicle is unsafe.

DaveFJ

posted on 31/10/07 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
When the Army first recieved the latest generation land rovers (the Wolf) they were capable of 100mph+ and had power steering that stayed very light regardless of speed. there were so many accidents in the first fewa months that the Army put a speed limit of 60mph on them and informed police to stop anyone seen breaking it!

must admit - i once had 100mph in one with a trailer attached - bloody scary!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

I love speed :-P

posted on 31/10/07 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I love that video - now where can I get myself one of those Russian trucks?

Well if you have a look on here after next years dakar (finishes in Jan) similar stuff will come up for sale.

http://www.dakar.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=1

Here is an example that was for sale

http://www.rallyraidassistance.com/MANKat16x6forsale.html

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 31/10/07 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
We hired this (with driver) when I was on holiday in Iceland a few weeks ago. Handling on the road wasn't great but on the snow covered mountain roads it was awesome:-

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

02GF74

posted on 31/10/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
who is the little pixie next to the car?

.... oh , hold on, it is that tyres that are massive

02GF74

posted on 31/10/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
When the Army first recieved the latest generation land rovers (the Wolf) they were capable of 100mph+ and had power steering that stayed very light regardless of speed. there were so many accidents in the first fewa months that the Army put a speed limit of 60mph on them

didn;t they learn nothing from the with the stage 1? A series land rover with rover 3.5 v8, the carbs were fitted with restritor plates to strangle performance.

DaveFJ

posted on 31/10/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
When the Army first recieved the latest generation land rovers (the Wolf) they were capable of 100mph+ and had power steering that stayed very light regardless of speed. there were so many accidents in the first fewa months that the Army put a speed limit of 60mph on them

didn;t they learn nothing from the with the stage 1? A series land rover with rover 3.5 v8, the carbs were fitted with restritor plates to strangle performance.

Nice big turbo diesel and converted back end to 'proper' springs rather than leaf springs... end result - loads of body roll!

[Edited on 31/10/07 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

andyharding

posted on 31/10/07 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
who is the little pixie next to the car?

.... oh , hold on, it is that tyres that are massive

The "pixie" is 5'6"

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

MkIndy7

posted on 1/11/07 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7

What a strange thing to say.

If you drive any car beyond its limits, it will end up on its roof. Try the same manoeuvre in a double decker bus or an articulated lorry, the result would be the same.

Idiotic driving does not mean the vehicle is unsafe.

My reason for saying this is that maybe the 4x4 isin't at fault.. or even the cause or part of the accident, But in the process of brakeing, swerving to avoid, or even being part of the accident they've ended up on their roof.

smart51

posted on 1/11/07 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Do you remember the episode of 5th gear where they rolled one at 45 MPH? They did a lane change manouvre at 50, 60 , 70 and 80 in a jag and eventually it skidded badly but at legal speeds it was OK.

Tall, heavy vehicles with large ground clearance and soft springs just aren't as stable as cars. Whilst I'm not for maning (many) things, perhaps off road vehicles should have a lower speed limit, like small trucks perhaps. Its for their own safety and that of other road users.

Rob Lane

posted on 1/11/07 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Range Rovers still are known for their initial roll on turn, however as long as they are not subject to a sudden change they can usually hang on as much as a normal family car.

The new Range Rover Sport is a different vehicle altogether, it is very tractable. Changes of direction even in a hurry are handled very competently. If it is overdriven with the DSC switched on it can normally get you out of trouble.

I had one at speed and took one corner way to fast, the DSC stepped in and took away throttle control, at the same time it applied the two inner brakes on the corner thus pulling the car round the corner whilst slowing the speed dramatically.
Their braking system is impressive too, they are fitted with brake assist. I went on a LR course and the first thing they do, is get you to accelerate to a high speed offroad on straight, then hit brakes hard!
Scary stuff as brake pedal is taken away from you and you nearly hit the screen with the G force.
All the time the car stays under control as the brakes work very hard to correct.

The new DRC (Dynamic Roll Control) system is a wonder. It has sensors on each corner that determine angle and it constantly compensates with the adjustable suspension to keep the car as level in cornering as possible. Even to the extent at speed to opposite angle the car in some instances. i.e. create lean over in mid bend.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.