Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fool!!!
02GF74

posted on 12/2/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Fool!!!

Should have reversed over him and finished off the job, instead gets 3 years in prison.

here

once again the legal systemfavours the scum.

speedyxjs

posted on 12/2/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

twybrow

posted on 12/2/08 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
For gods sake - what would hey prefer? Wait for the knife wielding scum to stab you in the face, then politely ring the police to ask for a crime reference number against which you can claim on your car insurance for the broken window?! Meanwhile Mr Chav continues to walk the streets with a knife, terrorising the locals. For crying out loud, why do we have to tolerate this behaviour?! I say good on him for making a stand - twice! Boooo to the judge for the sentance.

smart51

posted on 12/2/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
The law only entitles you to reasonable self defence. I think it should be more lenient in cases like this. I hope the attacker got properly prosecuted for his attack but as usual, the BBC only print half the story.

I know the argument that says any attacker will claim the other guy started it first to get off, but I really think that someone involved in a crime should lose all but the most basic of their rights, so that they cannot sue or prosecute those who fight back.

jollygreengiant

posted on 12/2/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
The law is an ASS. The man responded with the only weapon he had available at the time.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

James

posted on 12/2/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
unbelievable!

You'd think that'd be thrown out. If he'd pleaded not guilty and I was on the jury I'd have done my best for him.

A while ago I spoke to a defence lawyer friend of mine about this sort of thing who said that the trouble is that if a judge just throws a case out of court then the CPS can just bring the case again with a slightly different name to a different judge.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

james h

posted on 12/2/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
OMG WTF
billynomates

posted on 12/2/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Last week the prisons were overcrowded. Now a man has been locked up for 3 years for defending himself.
Seems to me the wrong person has been jailed here.
Somebody give me political party to vote for who'll reverse the rapid decline of this country and they've got my vote.
Lock up the scumbag with the knife, and put the judge in the next cell.

NeilP

posted on 12/2/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
"...Armstrong mounted the pavement in his vehicle and drove it into him as he stood in nearby bushes."

If he ran over him as he was attempting to drive away then I'd agree with the sentiment - If he went after him after the event (as could be inferred from the article) then he's taking the law into his own hands.

I hate the fact that I would never, ever let my three daughters have the same freedom that I had as a kid as the streets are just not safe but I don't want a vigilante culture as a solution.

What I do want is (any) sodding government to properly tackle the issues and stop parents allowing their viscious offspring to make the lives of the majority a misery, instead of just worrying how they are doing in the polls.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Macbeast

posted on 12/2/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm retired with time on my hands. Anyone want scumbags run over, I'm available.

What am I saying ?? I'm building a locost !!

Oh well, when it's finished then.

JoelP

posted on 12/2/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
the kid went in with the stake high, threatening violence and not expecting the old chap to outdo him. He lost his gamble. This is a risk you face when bringing the voilence card out. The kid would've learnt an important lesson there, that you cant intimidate everyone. Some people up the odds. Sadly, the law ruined this crucial lesson.

My simple view is that if you bring violence to the table, you risk being out done. Neither is the winner though, as the loser will simply ponder greater violence next time in an attempt to have his way. We would end up barbarians, with savagery being counted a laudable trait. This is why violence is the wrong path, but why do we all admire and respect 'hard' people?

Confused but excited.

posted on 12/2/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
At the end of the day, my view is; it's better to be tried by twelve, than carried by six!
He should have got a civic medal, not jail time.

[Edited on 12/2/08 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

MikeRJ

posted on 12/2/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP but why do we all admire and respect 'hard' people?

Would that be the royal "we"?

There's a BIG difference between being able to handle yourself in a situation, and being a pikey thug who actively seeks violent confrontation.

Under this goverment, the UK is slowly dieing. The "law" is toothless when it comes to criminals, so the victims now receive it's full attention. "Reasonable force"? I think it would be perfectly reasonable to rid the country of all of these scum.

StevenB

posted on 12/2/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
VOTE CONSERVATIVE - X

You know you want to.......

s

eznfrank

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
This seems to have been a "fight or flight" situation to me. I dare say if he'd have "fought" he would have wound up in hospital or a morgue. Self defence in my eyes!!
hillbillyracer

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
It could be that this decent bloke has ended up in jail becuase his case was a good prospect for a conviction. When the figures for successful prosecutions are published the fact that he was a good bloke who gave a yob what he had coming wont be part of the figures.
If someone smashed my car window & came at me with a knife I might well respond in similar fashion.

caber

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think he was extremely badly advised by his lawyer. If he had plead not guilty the Jury in Scotland can give a verdict of "not proven" meaning we know damn well you did it but are not satisfied that you are really guilty in law, in which case the defendant walks, the ideal outcome in this case. He should not have plead and should now seek appeal on grounds of bad legal advice, could be tricky to get him a re-trial though as he plead guilty. Bloody lawyers!

Caber

locoboy

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
This is all a bit serious,

I thought it was a thread about Mr T

ATB
Locoboy

02GF74

posted on 13/2/08 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
... and to add fuel to the fire, what are the chance he will now be sued by the yob?

it seems the law in this country no longer protect the ones it is supposed to.

[Edited on 13/2/08 by 02GF74]

DarrenW

posted on 13/2/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Lets hope there is an almighty public outcry about this. Same as for that farmer.

Its difficult to form an oppinion about such a case when all you have read is a bit of news. The judge was probs in reciept of more facts and wether right or wrong its probs right that some form of sentence was called for as a deterrent to others. There is a fine line between seriously injuring and killing. Whos to say the yob was just a bit misguided by his peers and may eventually be a decent person. Its funny how society works. I dont however defnd his current actions. Scum.

3 years is too much. Suspended sentence and community service might have been more appropriate. That guy would probs be some good to a youth project in Glasgow.

BenB

posted on 13/2/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hang on a minute here....
The bloke in the car WAS IN A CAR.
Someone in a car can travel much quicker than a bloke with a stick and a knife.
Therefore all he had to do was drive off.
Unless the person who got run over was stopping him from driving off it was excessive force. Therefore it was assault not self-defense.

As much as I have sympathy for the farmer (Mr Martin), he shot someone who was running AWAY from his home!! IE he was no longer in danger. I think he was also quilty by the fact that he'd booby-trapped his house to severely maim intruders (even when he wasn't at home so the "self-defense" option isn't an excuse).

I have sympathy for both Mr Martin and this new chappy. But their use of force was unreasonable, therefore they're quilty. Therefore it's jail time....

eznfrank

posted on 13/2/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Although in terms of the "booby traps" the law re: self defence does include a right to protect ones property, but obviously there are limits to what is reasonable.
Bob C

posted on 13/2/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm completely in favour of lethal booby traps to greet a burglar. I'd be happy to put a warning notice in front of the house to make it legal.........
I disagree with the respondent who said the chap could have driven off:- the nutter in this case was being guided to his house, and had taken the trouble to arm himself with baton & knife. Drive away & come home to a trashed house & an armed psycho? Sooner you than me mate!

smart51

posted on 13/2/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
I'm completely in favour of lethal booby traps to greet a burglar.

What about the Fire / Ambulance / Police staff that break into your house to save you in an emergency?

Bob C

posted on 13/2/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
S' why there's a warning notice ;^)
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.