Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cool electrolysis pic
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/3/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cool electrolysis pic

Must be because I'm using a white bath but look at this, you can actually see the rust travelling to the rod. This by the way is what’s happened in the time it's taken to eat my dinner check all the icky stuff gathering at the bottom ohh that looks nasty

I've inhanced the contrast so you can make out the tiny bubbles which started streaming from it the instant I switched the charger on, I like this Rescued attachment cleaning.jpg
Rescued attachment cleaning.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 17/3/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like someones left their oar in your bath

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

t.j.

posted on 17/3/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you have a spare bath?

My wife would tell me something....

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Ricks-9r

posted on 17/3/08 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I cleaned/de-rusted all my landy bits like this ,brilliant method with little effort
Chippy

posted on 17/3/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Better than vinigar, just for the entertainment value!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Howlor

posted on 17/3/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Whats in the bath then, liquid I mean not the part?!

russbost

posted on 17/3/08 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
"Whats in the bath then, liquid I mean not the part?! "

Mr Whippy's left over bath water!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
donut

posted on 17/3/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Is that the remains of your leg?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 17/3/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor

Gosh, where have you been the last 4 years?

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=9158

r1_pete

posted on 17/3/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Where did you say that housing development you walk your dog past is, could do with a bath to clean some bits in

Howlor

posted on 17/3/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor

Gosh, where have you been the last 4 years?
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=9158

What I meant was, what type of soda? Washing, baking, brand etc and to what concentrate did you mix it?

Thanks,
Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/3/08 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Its just washing soda, I forget the make. Concentration was err that will do... I think it was suppose to be 1 table spoon per gallon but I just poured it in all over the part. I wish I had time this morning to take a pic at just how dreadful the water looks now left it running today so expect a very clean part when I get home

I found some more bits of flat bar, 4 in total and that really speeded things up. I'm quite impressed with this, so easy and effective, now I can rescue all the steel wheels I have for trailers lying about

I might build this into the new garage and put some real thought into getting it running perfect, like a 24v supply and maybe a mesh grid on the bottom instead of the bars.

[Edited on 18/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

wilkingj

posted on 2/4/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Remember lads.... DONT use anything with Stainless Steel or Chrome in it for the sacrificial plate.

Whilst it might last a bit longer, the chemical reaction gives off Hexavalent Chromium

Please see:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=9944

Just a timely reminder for those who have not read the whole story, or been on here long enough to have heard about it.

Remember It pays to be safer rather than sorrier.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 2/4/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
.........and while I DO use stainless and have conveniently ignored the hexavalent chromates, I ought to point out again that there is another, very small and almost certainly insignificant, failing of the process.

On explaining it to a metallurgist in our heat treatment department at my last company, he was amazed, but then pointed out the issue of hydrogen embrittlement.

This is where hydrogen produced at the surface being treated, is actually absorbed (and ADsorbed) by the surface of the steel, and if then highly stressed, can cause cracking.

The good news is:

1) any embrittlement is unlikely to cause issue at the stress levels encountered on our diy stuff

and

2) it can be got rid of by a stint in an oven, and decreases with time after treatment as the hydrogen gradually exits the steel crystal structure.

all in all, don't worry, but DON'T for goodness sake treat a leaf spring or something as it WILL snap!!

try the springs on your battery charger clamps if they get in the solution for any length of time and you'll see what I mean!!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.