Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm starting to REALLY hate Vista!
David Jenkins

posted on 17/3/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm starting to REALLY hate Vista!

I've recently been given a loan laptop by my employer. Nice machine, very nice to use, and 1000% better than my antique lappy I've been using to tune Megajolt.

The trouble is, it arrived pre-loaded with Vista. My previous machines have either been Linux or Windows 2000. Linux is hard work at times, but gives the admin total power over configuration. Win2K is not so lenient, but it's still easy enough to dig in and deal with network issues.

Vista seems purpose-built to obstruct me - I'm starting to take it personally! I've spent most of the evening trying to find why my access to the internet suddenly disappears without warning. When I try to connect, the system says it's down. If I click on the diagnostic it says "It's not working - check your wirelss access point or speak to an administrator" or words to that effect.

I have really tried to get into Vista, but it seems to get in my way, rather than help me. I use XP at work - that's just seems like enhanced Windows 2000 and it just works for me.

Am I alone, or does anyone else hate it as much as me?

My IT bod at work has suggested that I put XP on the laptop - I am seriously tempted.

cheers,
David

Benzine

posted on 17/3/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Vista is the best OS m$ have made. I'm in a minority with this view though. Most people don't like it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 17/3/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've always found Vista to be super easy to connect to networks etc, but on the whole I'm not that big of a fan.

Is there some kind of firewall or windows defender thats blocking your access, or even the Router itself as its a new laptop it will be using a different IP address to what its expecting or allowing through.

The one thing I do find Bonkers is that accessing another computers drive over the network you need a username and passwork even if that computer doesn't have one!

RichardK

Yep, go back to xp, I can't say I like vista at all, even when I swatted to do the vista ms exam I couldn't get to like it which is unusual for me, normally when I understand the reason it's doing that weird behaviour I accept it because of the sensible reason behind it.

The one thing I do like though is the virtualisation of ie7 and vista, this is where the browser runs in it's very own virtual machine so in theory nasties can't get to the host machine. Neat feature, don't know if in practice it's any good as vista didn't last that long on my machine to find out

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 17/3/08 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

I was going to get my PC with Vista a few months after it came out but decided against it after everyone i knew hated it

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

BenB

posted on 17/3/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I had a fiddle with Vista the other day on a brand new laptop.

It certainly got my lap nice and warm (so I assume its quite CPU heavy!!) and ran rather slowly whilst trying to prevent me from doing everything I wanted to do!!

Nice laptop. Bad OS. Isn't it just a even more patronising (but rather shiny) version of the same old same old?

David Jenkins

posted on 17/3/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
That about sums it up - very pretty, very shiny, total PITA.

Linux is not easy under the bonnet, but at least it does let you get into the machinery if you know how to do it.

onzarob

posted on 17/3/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Vista is the best OS m$ have made. I'm in a minority with this view though. Most people don't like it.

I agree, I been using it for a year, yes it is tighter on control, but for a reason, your security. I've been in IT for 17 years and I do feel some of it is because allot of users have never had a OS change. I find Vista is ok and when it does something odd I can find a sensible explanation.

I like it

RazMan

posted on 17/3/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using it for years now, since the beta days, and I have to say that it is by far the best os I have used ...... when everything is Vista compatable. Just make sure that you have the proper drivers and it will be ok - -really.

You should try the 64bit version if you think you've got problems

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

JC

posted on 17/3/08 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think therefore iMac
twybrow

posted on 17/3/08 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I got a new HP laptop from work a few months ago. It was a brand new model at the time (8510p) that came pre-loaded with windows. It took bloody ages to be delivered, the the IT boys spent the next day taking Vista straight off of it.... XP or 2000 only at our work - let the other users figure out the bugs!

andyharding

posted on 17/3/08 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Mac all the way for me. No problems, easy life.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

jlparsons

posted on 17/3/08 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I see it this way-

Windows - it'll work but it might stop. You'll definitely find the software you want but it'll cost you.

Mac - it'll work and it won't stop. You might find the software you want, you might not. If you do, it'll cost you.

Linux - it'll work and it won't stop. You'll almost definitely find the software you want. It'll cost you nothing, nor will the software.

It used to be that ease of installation and use were big divides, but based on my most recent reinstall of a dual boot windows/ubuntu system, linux was far easier which surprised me. Windows on the other hand needed third party drivers to be found and then all my software had to be sourced and installed separately. Linux installed all the software I needed from install and recognised every device.
I've used windows a few times to play games since, that's about it. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth using up 10gig for the partition.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Pdlewis

posted on 18/3/08 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I love it and run it in the Vista and server 08 from and have had to problems. An easy alternative for anyone who has a vista machine but wants to access an XP or Linux feature is to install them as a virtual machine and run them from within vista (any machine that can run vista will be able to run a VM client such as VMware player)
David Jenkins

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately it's a company machine, and we're official Microsnot partners (a fancy title for a development company with close ties to MS) so replacing the OS with Linux is never going to be an option.

RazMan

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately any os gets very bad press when it is first launched and therefore everyone is very afraid to jump in and use it while being prepared to sort out the niggles.

I went into PCW last week and asked about an incompatibilty with my 8Gb flash drive with my 64bit Vista. When I asked if they could try it out on one of their 64bit systems they said that they didn't have one! In fact they admitted that they ONLY use XP in their teccie department as Vista was too finicky and the Vista systems were on the shop floor and mostly just for the bling factor!

I suppose that speaks volumes

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

MikeRJ

posted on 18/3/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I hate Vista. A new laptop I bought came with Home Premium and although I really tried to live with it for a few months, in the end it annoyed me so much I scrubbed it and installed XP.

Even switching as many of the stupid, pointless shiny bits off as possible, it still nannies you and makes things as difficult as possible. What on earth were M$ thinking when they got rid of the "Up" button from explorer? Something I use all the time on XP and Win2k, and they replace it with the stupidly named "bread crumb".

quote:

Windows - it'll work but it might stop. You'll definitely find the software you want but it'll cost you.

The amount of open source software for windows is huge, probably not that much less than Linux, as so much of it is ported across.

XP is also reasonably reliable if you don't install spyware infested crud on it. My last work machine (a humble dual processor P3-733 Dell) would typically go for several weeks at a time without a reboot, which was usually only needed due to installing software or Windows updates.

quote:

Mac - it'll work and it won't stop. You might find the software you want, you might not. If you do, it'll cost you.

True enough. I bought a second hand iBook to play with OSX a while back. I quite like it to be honest, a good improvement on Mac OS 9.

quote:

Linux - it'll work and it won't stop. You'll almost definitely find the software you want. It'll cost you nothing, nor will the software.

Every time I get enthusiastic about Linux I spend days installing it and playing with it, and then go back to my windows box to get some work done.

I also seem to have some unique power in that I have managed to completely lock up Linux several times when playing.

britishtrident

posted on 18/3/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Losing wireless networking on laptops is usually a wireless nic problem -- on a lot of laptops even modern expensive ones the built in wireless networking card is nbg due to arial packaging issues.

Often an ultra cheapo USB wireless dongle works better.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 18/3/08 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Unfortunately any os gets very bad press when it is first launched and therefore everyone is very afraid to jump in and use it while being prepared to sort out the niggles.

I went into PCW last week and asked about an incompatibilty with my 8Gb flash drive with my 64bit Vista. When I asked if they could try it out on one of their 64bit systems they said that they didn't have one! In fact they admitted that they ONLY use XP in their teccie department as Vista was too finicky and the Vista systems were on the shop floor and mostly just for the bling factor!

I suppose that speaks volumes

In about 1 year Vista will be OK, I never use any version of Windows om my own PCs until it has been released for 2 or better 3 years.

Windows 2000 was the dog danglers but things move on.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

onzarob

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
In fact they admitted that they ONLY use XP in their teccie department as Vista was too finicky

I probably going to get shot for this, but where is the techie part in PC world?

Finicky= too complicated for them

RazMan

posted on 19/3/08 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob

I probably going to get shot for this, but where is the techie part in PC world?

Finicky= too complicated for them

Good point - their eyes just glaze over whenever I ask them anything vaguely technical. I recently applied for a managerial position in PCW and they even messed up my emailed application form and I was getting 'button trouble' automated emails from their admin dept months after my application - bunch of muppets.

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.