Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust wrap - best way
Paul TigerB6

posted on 8/4/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust wrap - best way

Hey all

Just after some advice about the best way to apply exhaust wrap. I know its best applied damp and have the proper metal clips but whats the best way of applying it??

Do i start from the head end or the silencer end?? How do these little clips work??

muzchap

posted on 8/4/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wear some marigolds and be prepared for lots of 'itching'

It depends on your manifold and the space between each pipe. I was lucky, I was able to individually wrap each pipe, I started from the header down.

Some just wrap 2 pipes at once and some wrap all pipes together - personal preference - although I think individually wrapped is nicer and should offer the best performance.

I used the metal ties with the ball bearing in them - just slide through, pull tight and then clip off the excess.

HTH

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

will121

posted on 8/4/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
i done same as above just made sure wrapped around twice over each other and pulled tight to get a good secure start, then over lapped each time just about half width and pulled tight as seems to loosen with time, gets easier as get towards the end as you can estimate how much you need and cut it off rather than trying to handle feeding the whole roll through the header pipes. to end i did ender lap mine to try and tie off then csecured with ties
viatron

posted on 8/4/08 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
dont bother with those stupid jubilee type fasteners, locking wire is the only reliable way to keep it in place.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 8/4/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Locost solution - apply exhaust wrap then strip some copper from domestic two and one cable, wrap around along the length of the pipe - secure at either end by soldering to itself. Helps if you have a blow-torch rather than using a soldering iron.
Cheers, Pewe

Paul TigerB6

posted on 8/4/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have got a few of the proper stainless ties like these - they seem to lock onto themselves anyway. Think i have it all sussed out now anyway - thanks guys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.