Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Problems
mike smith1

posted on 5/6/08 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Problems

Hi All,

Got the car out last nite to go out for a blat in the nice weather, had nothing but problems!!

The fuel pump didnt pressure up and the fuel came out the overflow of the carbs, filled up carb on No 2, Checked the pump it pressures up if you blank off the end of the pipe, i drained the bowls and re connected the pump, it then pressured up and seemed ok. Car ran for about 5 mins on drive, got sorted went out and had only been driving less than 5mins and it developed a bad miss fire on No 2.

The only thing i can think it could be is we fitted a fuel gauge a couple of weeks ago, may be some shite has made its way past the filter??

Any ideas what to do??

Mike

[Edited on 5/6/08 by mike smith1]

Ricks-9r

posted on 5/6/08 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Re-missfire

check the coil connections ,i had the same thing on mine & this was the problem
mike smith1

posted on 5/6/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Will check but i did have a good look over them last night, i think the issue is the over fueling, just need to know what to do to rectify it!

Mike

Peteff

posted on 5/6/08 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a sticky float on number 2 not closing the float valve or the valve itself sticking open.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dangle_kt

posted on 5/6/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
when did you last use it? Did you drain the bowls before storing it if its been out of use for a while? Fuel evaporates over time and leaves a deposit which can make the float stick - therefore fuel keeps being pumped in without stopping and it overflows. So it might just be gummed up. Take the bottom off and use a bit of carb cleaner to sort it.

[Edited on 5/6/08 by Dangle_kt]

r1_pete

posted on 5/6/08 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Definately sounds like a sticking float valve on no.2 carb, has it been stood a while? could be the fuel has stagnated and gummed it up.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 5/6/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Prime it up again and this time tap the float bowl on No.2 repeatedly with a smallish spanner (or something else light/metallic) to "shock" the deposit out of the float bowl chamber.

This is not a permanent fix and the carbs will need cleaning in acetone (or carb cleaner but it's the same stuff virtually) or have them ultrasonically cleaned.

Steve

mike smith1

posted on 5/6/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies lads, its not been stood that long, just while we've had this rain probably not been out for a month or so!

Whats the best way to strip and clean ther carbs, I have the haynes manual for the bike but have never done it before!

Do i need to clean them all or just the one causing the issue?

Mike

[Edited on 5/6/08 by mike smith1]

worX

posted on 5/6/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Clean them all Mike.

The carbs are a relatively simple set of mechanical devices, so I would just say to give it a go.

A year ago I did my jetting kit for the first time and I didn't want to crack them pen without advice/guidance, but I got bored without waiting for responces on here and they weren't that bad at all!

Get a couple of soft paintbrushes, a litre or so of acetone or proper carb cleaner, make sure you have a large, clean area to work on, a camera to take photos in case you find a task inside to difficult to remember and GO FOR IT!

If you have any problems mate, I have a spare bank of carbs that I can strip easily for you and check anythig if I don't know it off the top of my head.

ATB
Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.