Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Emissions
mackei23b

posted on 6/6/08 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Emissions

Yes, the pre SVA jitters are starting.

Do you get much of a chance to tweak your emmisions during the test, if that is the only potential fail?

Cheers

Ian

BenB

posted on 6/6/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
It varies from place to place. Tinker time depends when during the test they do the emissions. If they do the emission early they may not be too happy for you to tinker for ages in case other bits fail similarly. If it's the last thing to be done and the rest is okay they might let you tinker for 20-30 mins... Depends how (un)helpful they're in the mood to be.
piddy

posted on 6/6/08 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on the place and what else they find with your car. If all is well and the test is finished quickly. the examiner will allow more time to play with things like emmisions,speedo calibration,brake bias etc.
worX

posted on 6/6/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Best thing to do is let it fail, do the rest of the test and if virtually everything passes, just ask them if they have time for you to tweak it briefly.

They're not monsters, they are there for a reason and most of the time they are pretty sound...

Steve

Dave J

posted on 6/6/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
When I was ready to book the test, I rang my local testing station and asked if there was a chance of tinkering time. They advised me of the best times to book to have the best chance of doing some tinkering.

Ring your station and ask to speak to one of the testers, then you'll know for sure.

Best of luck on the SVA

Cheers

Dave

adithorp

posted on 6/6/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
When mine failed they allowed me to tinker but it was almost dinner time and when it still wouldn't get through they said try again after dinner (still couldn't get it right).

When I went for the re-test they said there was loads of time to play with it and it went through first try!

adrian

chris_smith

posted on 6/6/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
what station is that at adi? cos i guess ill be going to the same one
paulmw

posted on 6/6/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, that was Chadderton.

My experience was the same. They dont really let you tinker first time as generally it will fail anyway on other stuff

The retest is completely different. We had about 6 goes and it eventually led to us changing the map to suit what he was sampling

Prepare for a fail. The guys at Manchester are great and are almost willing you to pass 2nd time

Paul

adithorp

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Chadderton as Paul said.

The emmisions were done last (the other car being SVA'd at the same time was done first) so I'd only failed on noise at that point ,so they tried to get me through the emmisions and if so would let me try the noise again (socks, rags and anything else available up the exhaust) but we just ran out of time.

Hardest thing was holding the revs steady at 2500-3000. You think you've got it any then it starts climbing!

adrian

The Baron

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I was really lucky, the emissions were too high on my pinto, I pleded ignorance (the truth) on how to tune it, and the SVA chap did it for me.

bloody nice bloke

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.