Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec fun
scutter

posted on 9/6/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec fun

How hard should it be to turn an engine over using a socket on the crank pully nut?

This is following on from my thread of the starter not being able to spun the engine over. From what I recall I was able to turn over the X-flow when setting the valve clearances.

Does anyone have any idea on what to check, before I rip the engine out and apart?

Sorry forgot to add, blacktop zetec, 1800flywheel, clutch cover and plate, capri release bearing and arp conrod bolts.

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 9/6/08 by scutter]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mikeb

posted on 9/6/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I can turn mine with my standard socket set, but tend to use my torque rench as it has a longer arm.

Mike

ash_hammond

posted on 9/6/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to state the abvious - is it in gear?

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

scutter

posted on 9/6/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thought as much, bugger cars beginning to hack me off.

I had the car out off gear, then put it in 5th to see if it'll spin over a little, it did but not by much.

So still the saga continues. time to swip the hoist from work me thinks.

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tim windmill

posted on 9/6/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i can remember i could turn our 2.0 blacktop over using a standard wrench and socket, we are using the zetec 1.8 flywheel, clutch and cover but the release bearing was supplied by westfiled with a spacer fixed to the bearing. Is this the same as the capri bearing?what starter motor are you using? is your starter motor locking the flywheel ?
bartonp

posted on 9/6/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Makes it easier if the plugs are out too....
Mix

posted on 9/6/08 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I can turn my 2.0l Zetec by hand, (just), from the crank pulley whilst the engine is out of the car and the plugs are out. I have turned my 2.0l Mundano engine easily with a socket and a 12" extension whilst fitted with the plugs in place.

Have you tried turning the engine with the clutch disengaged...........just a thought, eliminate one more possibility.

Regards Mick

big_wasa

posted on 9/6/08 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I can turn mine over by hand.

rebuilt 2L

theconrodkid

posted on 9/6/08 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
what torque you use on the big ends?slacken them one at a time

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

bob

posted on 9/6/08 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yup as above, did it turn over ok before you fitted the ARP bolts ?

zetec7

posted on 9/6/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Exercise caution when turning over the motor by the pulley bolt on the Zetec. My buddy got over zealous on his 2.0 Zetec doing this, and sheared off the bolt...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

Danozeman

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mines turns by hand with the plugs out and nicely with a ratchet with them in.

Does it turn with the plugs out? Did you oil the shells when it went back together??

Do the cams turn freely when the belts off? Ie Is it definatley the crank thats tight..

Try every idea before u pull the engine out.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

chasmon

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
I had the car out off gear, then put it in 5th to see if it'll spin over a little, it did but not by much.

Why in 5th...?

Cheffy

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Evening Daniel,

Just been out and tried mine. Turns over okay with a long extension on a socket. That's with the plugs in, but obviously that's on the engine stand with no clutch or any other gubbins attached.

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

MikeR

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
if your pushing the car you've got the biggest multiplier. pushing it in first would be murder!
MikeRJ

posted on 10/6/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robocog
Can spin my 2 litre silvertop by the pulley bolt

I was a bit concerned that the torque on the big ends didn't seem a lot considering the stress/work they do, but followed instructions to the letter

The tighter they are the more the stress they have to deal with!

scutter

posted on 11/6/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well a quick update, it appears the arp bolts were to blame, i'm sure that I did the correctly.

After 20minute prying off the steel section of the sump, No.2,3&4 bigend bolts were very tight., all re-torqued to 26lbs ft.

We'll see if they go tight again with oil px.

ATB Dan.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/6/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Well a quick update, it appears the arp bolts were to blame, i'm sure that I did the correctly.

After 20minute prying off the steel section of the sump, No.2,3&4 bigend bolts were very tight., all re-torqued to 26lbs ft.

They must have been massively over tightened to make the crank bind up!

Are the bearings definitely fitted correctly and of the correct size? Have the bearing caps have all been mated back to their correct locations?

scutter

posted on 12/6/08 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
All i did to the engine at the time was spin it over in the stand, and replace the bolts i didn't even check the condition of the bearings, so nothing else has been disturbed.

Just thinking, I have fitted a modded ie shortened shaft V6 gearbox, i wonder if it's too tight a fit.

ATB Dan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.