Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Digital Vernier Caliper battery life?
Fred W B

posted on 9/6/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Digital Vernier Caliper battery life?

Although I do have (and can read) a conventional vernier, I prefer using a digital vernier as you can for example:

- Measure a bolt hole dia on a PCD, than zero the vernier and read the PCD directly by measuring across the outside of the holes

- Compare sizes by measuring the first position or piece , then zero the vernier and read off the variances directly

and they are more convinent to read, but the damn things seem to use the battery up so quickly.

These are the type that use a "hearing aid" type battery and are available cheaply almost anywhere nowadays. Sometime the batteries you buy seem to be flat before you even put them into the thing.

Anybody else find the same? - I do remember to turn the vernier off between uses.

I mention the "(and can read)" above as I was looking at a new fangled digital measuring tape in the hardware shop a while ago. A huge bulky thing, with a series of holes along the tape, such that it would not last long in regular use. I asked the shop assistant who would want/need such a thing, when a regular tape is so simple and works so well.

He says "Ah but is for the people who can't read a tape measure!" - I reckon if you can't read a tape you should not be using one anyway.

OK, BOF mode off now

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 9/6/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

chrsgrain

posted on 9/6/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I agree - 2nd most useful tool after clecos....

Batteries - first set - 6 weeks, this set 6 months and counting... wonder if there is something wrong with your calipers??

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

bigandy

posted on 9/6/08 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have a cheapy digital vernier at home, and that eats batteries like they are going out of fashion.

However, the Mitutoyo one I use at work has been running off the same battery for over 3 years now, and I rarely remember to turn the thing off.....

Dammit! Too many decisions....

zetec7

posted on 9/6/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Same here - my Mitutoyo digital caliper has had one battery change in the 14 years I've owned it...and only because I left it on for a couple of weeks once by accident. The current battery is about 8 years old, but the display is admittedly starting to get faint...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 9/6/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I read somewhere (can't remember where, but sounds feasible) that the cheap ones have no memory, so instead of having to zero them every time you switch them on, only the display is actually switched off.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Alan B

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mini rant...

Guys....they are either digital or vernier.....I don't know any that are both...

Battery life...I have one caliper with a seemingly everlasting battery and another that uses them quite fast...so basically...no idea..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in charge of the calibration at work. we have dozens of Mitutoyo and Tesa calipers that are left on 24/7. The batterys last for months. Cheaper ones like from Aldi are crap, they only last a couple of months then fail calibration due to poor pick ups inside.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David Jenkins

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have an elderly Mitutoyo caliper - the manual states that the battery will last 1 year if left on permanently, 2 years if you turn it off after each use.

In fact it's had just 2 new batteries in 15 or 16 years!

MikeR

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
i've got two cheap ones. Don't use them that much but both have had the same battery since i bought them. one is a couple of years old the other a year.

maybe you're using it too much

DavidW

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Mitutoyo one that I was given in my first job after uni 8-9 years ago, it's still going on the original battery.
David Jenkins

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think that everyone is saying the same thing - you get what you pay for! Spend a fortune on a Mitutoyo and hardly every buy a battery. Buy a cheap one and pay a fortune on batteries.

stevec

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mitutoyo 12 years of occasional use and still going .
Steve.

Fred W B

posted on 10/6/08 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys, got the answer I was looking for. Have to look into what proper ones cost

Alan - I stand corrected.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

MikeRJ

posted on 10/6/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
I read somewhere (can't remember where, but sounds feasible) that the cheap ones have no memory, so instead of having to zero them every time you switch them on, only the display is actually switched off.

Absolutely correct, the display is simply disabled which reduces the current draw somewhat, but the measuring circuit reamins active. I take the batteries out of mine if I'm not going to use them for a while. It's a bit of a hassle, but not as annoying as having a flat battery when you need to use it.

Alan B

posted on 10/6/08 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Thanks Guys, got the answer I was looking for. Have to look into what proper ones cost

Alan - I stand corrected.

Cheers

Fred W B

Fred, it wasn't aimed at you..sorry if it came acroos like that.....just a non-specific target mini-rant..

The other one that bugs me is quad-bike...it's a bike (2 wheels) or quad (4 wheels) can't be both....

I have more too.......guess I should get a life...LOL

Alan

David Jenkins

posted on 10/6/08 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
It's one of the most useful tools I own, especially at the lathe. Set the gauge to the dimension I want and zero it; measure the diameter of the piece in the lathe; read off the amount to be removed off the diameter - easy. All I need extra is a button that divides the result by 2 (the amount I need to wind the tool into the work) then I'd be overjoyed!

Much better than trying to work it out with a manual vernier or micrometer...

(Alan B - terminology OK? )

Fred W B

posted on 10/6/08 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Alan, no problem at all.

I correct people on stuff like that all the time as well.

I also dislike using slang terms for technical items, call it by its name for pete's sake.

Shall I start another thread re incorrectly calling dampers "shocks"

Cheers

Fred w B

Davey D

posted on 11/6/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Alan, no problem at all.

I correct people on stuff like that all the time as well.

I also dislike using slang terms for technical items, call it by its name for pete's sake.

Shall I start another thread re incorrectly calling dampers "shocks"

Cheers

Fred w B

That is one of my pet hates too... people calling their Springs & Dampers "Shockers".. grrrrr damned americanism

02GF74

posted on 12/6/08 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
they are rubbish as far as battery life goes. I remove the battery after using them whcih due to the palaver involved, I don;t and use the manual ones.

The problem I think is that the unit is power on all the time and the on switch is not swtiching the supply but is detected by the electronics to know when you want to turn it on.

DIY Si

posted on 14/6/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I can also vouch for the Mitutoyo stuff. I used to calibrate and look after a factory full of them and other verniers and gauges. The only ones that never needed new batteries where the mitutoyo ones. In the 3 years I was there I never changed a battery in one of the 50 or so I looked after. I only had 2 go out of calibration too. I may have had 3 or 4 go missing though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.