Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 893 Fireblade rotor puller - thread size?
gingerprince

posted on 11/6/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
893 Fireblade rotor puller - thread size?

Hi, I'm currently in the middle of splitting an 893 'blade engine following Mr Haynes. I now need to remove the alternator rotor and it suggests I need a proper Honda tool.

I'm assuming that I can also use a correctly threaded bolt for the same purpose (which hopefully will be cheaper from local nut shop since I don't expect to be removing many rotors in my life!) - in which case does anyone know the thread pitch for the 893 blade? I've found reference to the 929 being 20mm x 1.5, but I'd like to know if the 893 is the same or different?
, Sy
Ta

ReMan

posted on 11/6/08 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I think you will find that the oil filter center will thread on nicely and tighten up with the spanner against the crank.
Wind it in, give it a few gentle taps with a copper mallet, it should fall off

However, you may not need to take it off at all?

skodaman

posted on 12/6/08 at 02:59 AM Reply With Quote
I used to have the proper Honda tool for this. It had four different threads, some of which were reverse threads, which could prove a problem. Mind you this was way pre- fireblade. If you can find a bolt to fit it will do the job just as well. But if you do need the proper tool mine cost less than ten quid from Bill Heads in Preston so just go to your nearest Honda shop.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 12/6/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Good tip about the oil filter, I'll give that one a go Otherwise I'll go for the tool if that doesn't work and it turns out I do need to remove it.

Cheers.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 12/6/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Careful you dont thread the oil cooler bit though, because if its anything like as tight as the R1 rotor then you'll need something hardened.

I ended up making my own tool using a 12.9 hardened bolt of the correct thread

I ended up welding the regular 12mm bolt on the other side to act as a pivot (resting on an axle stand adjusted to the right height) to stop it twisting, because I had to put a 2 ft bar on the end of that and bolt the engine to the bench to get it off!

I think the R1 rotor is notoriously hard to get off compared to most, but Id still be careful using something that may be a bit soft.

Having said that I dont think you'll actually need to remove it if you're just splitting it to get at the gearbox, unlike on the R1.

cheers
Chris

[Edited on 12/6/08 by ChrisGamlin]

Hellfire

posted on 13/6/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Nope, the rotor can stay where it is.

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.