Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Depressed
focijohn

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Depressed

After spending all of friday at work listening to the sound of straight 6 TR6's and TR7's "flying" past and all of today spotting them around town (triumph doo at the 3 counties), started me thinking are we really moving forward.
With me sat in my euro box with 14 scilencers and 4 cats to please the hippies. And a tr6 with non of that sat burbling away with simple engineering so that men could own tool boxes and be fixed at the side of the road. Same with a morgan we have at work which was built back when fuel was 60p per liter and emisions were set up by ear and visual test out back, and not too much worry about usetting people with its straight through pipes and tuned v8 behind the head lights.
I just cant help but think yes the technology has moved forward but IMO everything else has moved backward, half the cars on the road look the same now interchangeable parts etc an in my short motoring life most of them drive the same. Where as u go back 30- 40years and you can feel so much more different handling for every car, characteristics, looks, sounds.

Now ive finished ill go back to bed

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

mackei23b

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
still lookling at you avatar, at least some things haven't changed
omega0684

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
when we're all depressed we just look at your avatar!

[Edited on 19/7/08 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
when we're all depressed we just look at your avatar!

[Edited on 19/7/08 by omega0684]

I dont

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Paul (Notts)

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Got the Viento back on the road today. There is nothing like driving a car that consists of an engine and yourself to make you fell good.( esp the sound of a v8 )

Also todays the first day of my six week holliday.

+ a bottle of wine.

+ when I return to work I will only be doing 4 days a week

Paul

focijohn

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
There is nothing like driving a car that consists of an engine and yourself to make you fell good.( esp the sound of a v8 )

ill second that one

[Edited on 19/7/08 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

coozer

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with ya on this one, many moons ago I rode around on a Kawasaki Z1000 with a 4 into nowt exhaust. 4 headers into 6 inches of 2" pipe, no baffles nowt! I wouldn't dare now, the euro noise brigade would have me locked up!

Modern euro boxes are generally all the same sharing components, engines and even floor pans.

I laugh at stupid woman drivers in Zafiras unable to drive through a gap big enough for a bus even though the thing sits on an Astra floor pan and is dimensionally identical!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Benzine

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing how technology has advanced so much but the weight of a modern car is insane
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
focijohn

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I laugh at stupid woman drivers in Zafiras unable to drive through a gap big enough for a bus even though the thing sits on an Astra floor pan and is dimensionally identical!

Don't even get me started on the standard of driving in Britain!!!

zetec7

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with all of the above - the only problem with the old motors was the metallurgy. They wore out - cams wore out, cranks wore out, cylinders wore out. The life of an engine back in the '50s and '60 was generally considered to be about 100,000 miles. Nowadays, the metallurgy has improved to the point where many motors easily last 300,000 or more. What is failing most frequently now, IMHO (and a lot of mechanics agree with me), is the electronics. They're sophisticated, but the connectors, wires, rubber casings etc. all have a lifespan, and when they start to go, you've got lots of troubles.

So, I decided to eschew the fancy electronics with my Zetec...a simple, 2D GM box, working in "failsafe" mode, is all there is., plus Weber 45DCOE carbs (once they're set, you can pretty much forget 'em), and you're away.

The best of both worlds...simple mechanics I can easily fix myself, with metallurgy to last, certainly beyond my lifetime.

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

focijohn

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't that the point, my point of view being a 20yr old mechanic (apprentice) old skool or new skool old all the way. You actually have to FIX things instead of FIT things. You cant just plug a cable in and tap on the mouse..... multimeter and a screw driver!!!

Chippy

posted on 19/7/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I purchased my first car in 1955, had a gold seal engine, (recon to you young herberts), and the car had only 52000 miles on the clock, so I think your 100K is a bit out. Clutches, that's another thing, lucky to get 30K from a clutch back then, (or was that just me ). Ray
quote:

The life of an engine back in the '50s and '60 was generally considered to be about 100,000 miles.

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

tegwin

posted on 19/7/08 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
John....this is exactly why I will have a TR6 Based TVR sat in my garage within the month

I promise il let you play too!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

D Beddows

posted on 20/7/08 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
The reason is that 80% of the motoring population aren't in the slightest bit interested in opening the bonnet of their car let alone having the inclination or ability to perform even the most basic service......tbh I don't remember taking your car to a garage to get it fixed was ever particularly cheaper than it is now it's just now you pay for the technology (operated by monkeys paid monkeys wages) and thing get replaced rather than fixed rather than paying for someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Depends if you actually experienced having to drive 'simple' cars on a day to day basis I guess but, removing the rose tinted goggles, they could be a huge pain in the arse as they used to go wrong much more often than todays boring, comfortable, reliable, MP3 equiped vehicles

[Edited on 20/7/08 by D Beddows]

RK

posted on 20/7/08 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
I think a lot of the time that my personal choice of a Nissan engine for the SR18 was overkill: turbo and can upgrade things to get almost 500 HP if I were that way inclined. I don't really understand the engine at all and would have liked a TR engine or Pinto, but I would not have looked forward to fixing leaks and "tweaking" carbs etc etc. I just hated all that when I had an AH Sprite once, but it would be nice to be able to actually buy a car without all the crap you need nowadays.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.