Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake help please
contaminated

posted on 6/8/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Brake help please

Just got back from a run and had a bit of a brake problem. I was taking it very easy luckily and coming down a hill when the car in front braked and indicated to turn off. I applied the brakes and not a lot happened. It slowed down, but was in no hurry to stop. I would say there was perhaps a bit more pedal travel and then what felt like very bad brake fade as I gradually slowed.

The above problem has remained - it doesn't matter how hard you brake, it just slows to a gradual stop rather than actually stopping. Forget for instance doing an emergency stop! I figure there are three possible problems:

1. Air in system - but no obvious leaks or fluid loss. Resevoir full and why would you suddenly get air in there unless there was a leak?

2. Mechanical failure - bad disks or pads, sometihng come adrift. Not check properly yet but I doubt it.

3. Servo failure (I have one) - if you have a servo, if you start the car with your foot already on the brake you should feel the pedal soften as the vacuum builds. Mine doesn't do this - the pedal stays hard. When you switch off and pump a few times there is no hiss and the pedal does n ot stiffen. The one way valve back to the manifold is fine. There is some damage to the bottom of the servo, although it has not been punctured.

I guess I'll start by bleeding just in case - but I doubt that's the issue. Any comments appreciated and if anyone has an unused Ford servo PM me for beer tokens!

mookaloid

posted on 6/8/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you have already sussed it - the servo - has the vacuum pipe come off?

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

contaminated

posted on 6/8/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly not, no.

The thing I'm confused about is what happens when a servo goes bad! Is the effect just non-servo assisted brakes, or does it bu**er them up altogether?

daviep

posted on 6/8/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
You just end up with non-servoed brakes, but they'll feel like they're not working at all.
Macbeast

posted on 6/8/08 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I still have the servo out of my Sierra and it could be in Maidstone on Sunday if that's any help ?
contaminated

posted on 6/8/08 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
I still have the servo out of my Sierra and it could be in Maidstone on Sunday if that's any help ?

It would be a big help - except that I'll be in Norfolk! Are you in Maidstone then? Plenty of places you could drop it if so.

zetec7

posted on 6/8/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
If I recall correctly, the way to test the servo is to put your foot HARD on the brake with the engine OFF, then start the car. If the servo is working correctly, your foot will go fairly quickly to the floor. If this doesn't happen, the servo is definitely...uh...pooched.

Very uncommon failure these days (obviously for safety reasons, these things are generally pretty much bulletproof), - more common is loss of vacuum supply to the servo canister, via cracked/poorly fitting hose, leaky fitting at manifold or servo, etc.

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
contaminated

posted on 6/8/08 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
thanks - I'll check the connections again tomorrow
Macbeast

posted on 6/8/08 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Contaminated - U2U awaits
contaminated

posted on 6/8/08 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
superstar!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.