Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build costs
bones

posted on 7/9/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Build costs

Been playing with the idea of building the Haynes Roadster(bec) using my 2K R1 as an engine donor
I've done a search on build costs but can only find some approx figures(I'm guessing no one really wants to add all there costs up ).
Understandably there's a lot of spec variations which will effect the build costs. So thought try to put a Spreadsheet together based on the kind of spec I'm thinking of.
Hoped that some of you guys who've built already might look over my budget plan to see if holds water.

The amalgamation of marginal gains

Hellfire

posted on 7/9/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse.

At a first glance, the spreadsheet appears to be quite detailed. I reckon you could easily add another £300 for sundries though. You'll be surprised at just how quickly these add up. The difficulty you'll have, is avoiding temptation and actually sticking to it.

Good luck

Phil

[Edited on 7-9-08 by Hellfire]

grassracer

posted on 7/9/08 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Have you allowed for any postage costs...even a small parcel costs best part of a tenner these days !
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mark G

posted on 7/9/08 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've made a spreadsheet for my build too. Mainly so when I'm spending I can see how much and try not to let it get out of control.

So far I'm on £5300 and I have another £1000 to go before I buy everything that I need.

As Hellfire says little things do really add up and make a big difference. I think the best way to get a realistic estimate is to add everything up like you have and then add 15% to the total and I think that would be more accurate to the final cost.

LBMEFM

posted on 7/9/08 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget cost of collection, postage (as mentioned), consumables, SVA, insurance etc.
I have also tried to keep to my budget, but I think most would agree that you normally go over.

ashg

posted on 7/9/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
add 17.5% to all the rally design and 3ge prices as you have listed the non-vat prices.

also i think you need to increase the welding consumables to at least £150. i base that thinking on the fact that 1 years gas bottle rental is £80 plus a two refils at £20(£40) a go plus £20 for 15kg of wire and £10 for tips/bits/bobs. if you are using adams gas bottles double it.

i did a spread sheet for mine and it keeps growing as i go lol. i worked out my budget then added 2k to it to be safe. so far im looking to spend every penny :-)

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

gy351100

posted on 7/9/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
build costs

hi
if you start to think too much about build costs you wont do it
give yourself an initial start budget which will include all major items, say up to a rolling chassis, then complete the build on a monthly budget.
that way you wont build debt as well as a car
best of luck
keith

INDY BIRD

posted on 7/9/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Other things to consider

£150+ for sva and transporting it,
£250 + for road tax and registration once passed incl no plates

then the insurance for it ????

The list goes on,

Good luck though

RK

posted on 7/9/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever it is, double it. Most people don't know how to count.
bones

posted on 8/9/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for your replies
Seems i need to sum more sums, but I'm starting to think I'm maybe looking at the build Vs buy, from the wrong angle.
So is it right to assume most people build because either:

A/ They just really like the building & get a car with the spec they want.

B/ Rather than actually costing less than buying(which it seems not), it is though a good way to spread the cost at your own pace without paying interest on a loan.

For me, I think I would enjoy the build, but the driving is what its all about . So in an ideal world i guess buying would be the better option, where as building is a less painful way (budget wise) in the short term.

The amalgamation of marginal gains

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.