Board logo

Need some advice please
Donboy_s14 - 6/9/09 at 11:22 AM

Hi there

Im new to the forum and looking for some advice before i commit to build a kit car.
Im looking at building a MK Indy with a bike engine. Not really sure what engine but as i have a smallish budget so i was thinking of an R1 as i have heard good things about them.
Also i am not a mechanic and have never built a car before but do work as a service engineer so know how to use tools. Will i strugle to build a kit from start to finish on my own if im not a mechanic ? Also i have a budget of about 6K do you feel that this will be enough to get the car built and on the road?
Any advice will be appreciated
Cheers

austin man - 6/9/09 at 11:29 AM

Wit any kind of build a common sense approach is the best kind. MK will give you support and advice. There are several builders who have fitted the R1 to 7 type cars so all the problems have been ironed out. I would think you can get nearly everything off the shelf now, cradle wiring loom etc.

Most importantly take your time, when you get to the stage where your still scratching your head then shout up and ask someone.

I would think that 60% of builders maybe more are not mechanics.

tomgregory2000 - 6/9/09 at 11:34 AM

i dont think you budget is big enough for a bike engine car, sorry

Donboy_s14 - 6/9/09 at 11:38 AM

What would be a more realistic budget for a build from start to finish? Im in no rush so can always add bits to the budget as i go

big_wasa - 6/9/09 at 11:41 AM

well your looking at over £500 just for iva

Donboy_s14 - 6/9/09 at 11:44 AM

Is that the test that allows the car to be regiesterd on the road?

cd.thomson - 6/9/09 at 11:44 AM

I'm not sure bud, whats your time scale? Generally smaller budgets take more time. I'm hoping to get my dax rush on the road for next summer, which is 18 months from when i bought it.

I'm also working to a 6k budget (started at 5k with a pinto )

Donboy_s14 - 6/9/09 at 11:48 AM

I would like to get it done in 12 months. I work full timeso would be getting done at night and weekends? 6K is my guide budget. i know that there will be un expected cost that come up like toyo 888s that are all extras that can be added once it road leagal.

big_wasa - 6/9/09 at 11:51 AM

yep,
If you have engineering skill you will have no bother building a kit.

If you keep to a no thrills aproach and be patiant then 6k will go a long way.

Its a very easy hobby to spend a lot of money on nice little extras.

Hammerhead - 6/9/09 at 11:52 AM

how about building a haynes roadster instead? you can buy the chassis and wishbones from a builder on ebay. saves a few hundred quid possibly over an indy kit.

Donboy_s14 - 6/9/09 at 12:06 PM

I would rather stay with the choice of the indy as i would be able to get alot of the info i need just by going on line as they seem to be a popular choice for new builders.

PAUL FISHER - 6/9/09 at 12:58 PM

You should be able to build a buget Indy R1 for around £6000+IVA and registration costs,what I would say if you have not done already is go for the Indy R,another £600 over the Indy,but worth every penny,the car will be worth another £1500 to £2000 over the standard Indy when you come to sell it

blakep82 - 6/9/09 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
I'm not sure bud, whats your time scale? Generally smaller budgets take more time. I'm hoping to get my dax rush on the road for next summer, which is 18 months from when i bought it.

I'm also working to a 6k budget (started at 5k with a pinto )

i'm on 6 years with a 3k budget, and now several times over budget

StevenB - 6/9/09 at 09:28 PM

What do you service?

Being realistic..yeah you can do it.
But be prepared for many trips to this website
for answers to both difficult and daft questions alike.

I wouldnt rely on the MK build manual.

It will help if you can find a builder on here that lives nearby.
See one, do one, teach one if you know what I mean.

Welcome to the madhouse.

Donboy_s14 - 6/9/09 at 09:55 PM

I service access contorl systems, Car park barriers, turnstiles and so on. I think i will be able to build it, all be it with lots of questions on forums. but hey thats all part of the fun.
cheers for all the advice.

jack_t - 6/9/09 at 11:11 PM

i've just finished building my r1 powered indy took me 8 weeks to build working couple of hours a night and weekends car stands me at 6K thats with everything ( full cage,powder,inboard suspension. donor parts ) just got iva and registration to go so should be just under 7k on the road

oh and btw i'm 18