Board logo

Feelander Diff
sgraber - 10/9/05 at 07:36 PM

It's been mentioned that the Freelander Diff is small and lightweight. Does anyone have one that they can measure up and post the dimensions? I am most interested in the distance from carrier bearing to carrier bearing. The width out to out. Also, how beefy is it and will it handle say, 300hp?

Thanks!

Graber

britishtrident - 10/9/05 at 08:10 PM

I can't see it taking 300bhp see this URL for picture.

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/shop/default.asp

Full URL is to long to paste but look under rear suspension & Propshaft

[Edited on 10/9/05 by britishtrident]

Hellfire - 10/9/05 at 10:54 PM

LINK but I can't find any dimensions I'm interested if anyone knows...

[Edited on 10-9-05 by Hellfire]

mangogrooveworkshop - 10/9/05 at 10:57 PM

Liam - 10/9/05 at 10:58 PM

One at me mates house - i'll see if i can measure it up.

Liam

sgraber - 11/9/05 at 06:52 AM

Thanks Liam.

How easy are the Freelander diffs to find over in the UK?

I know that I have seen some Freelanders around town here in Phoenix, USA, but they are far and few between.

Anyone know of other differentials that are unusually small? I am looking specifically for differentials that are narrow between the carrier bearings.

Peteff - 11/9/05 at 09:34 AM

Look for some pictures of subaru diffs. The American who was building the Hayabusa powered one off had some pictures of them.

zilspeed - 11/9/05 at 09:34 AM

Honda CR-V rear diff ?

Suzuki Swift 4x4 Rear Diff ?

Liam - 11/9/05 at 12:52 PM

According to my playstation and gran turismo, there is a crazy amount of tiny japanese cars that have a four wheel drive version for some reason. Like 60 bhp or so and 4WD. I'd have thought they'll have tiny rear differentials. Get on to your local importer!

Liam

bikkel - 11/9/05 at 03:34 PM

pics/link here:

diffs

koen

RallyHarry - 11/9/05 at 08:08 PM

Yes there's lots and lots of cars and trucks in Japan with 4wd, even down to the 600cc cars/trucks ...

Half of the country is uphill and the other half is downhill so it makes sense in a way ( it's a volcanic island after all)

Cheers

RallyHarry - 11/9/05 at 08:17 PM

I don't get it, on dpcars site, he said >>two front cosworth diffs<< and "Great for a homebrew project like a bike-engine conversion of a seven"

Wouldn't a front diff spinn the wrong way when put in the rear ? Would be perfect for me up front thought :-)

Cheers

paul v6 - 8/10/05 at 06:00 PM

Can anyone confirm if the ford 4x4 front diff could or has been used?? Does it accept normal sierra drive shafts? will the narrow dimensions cause problems when using sierra de dion components??

Any advice much appreciated!!

Paul

theconrodkid - 8/10/05 at 07:31 PM

BMW diff,littering the streets and plenty strong,some have lsd as well