Board logo

Mid engined handbrake
DorsetStrider - 6/2/05 at 05:41 PM

Ok here's the thing... I'm building a mid engined but droping a FWD alfa engine and gear box in the back....straight forward yes???........no!

Suddenly thought of a problem I'm gonna have. because I'm using the engine gearbox axels and wheels from the alfa pretty much as they were on the alfa and then using a renaults front wheels steering etc for the front end I'm gonna end up with two set's of disc brakes.... then I suddenly thought how am I gonna get a SVA legal handbrake set up?

Any ideas?

colibriman - 6/2/05 at 05:55 PM

if it is an alfasud engineand gearbox, they have inboard discs and the handbrake on the front wheels.....that might sort out your handbrake problem...

DorsetStrider - 6/2/05 at 06:11 PM

nope..... it was an alfa 33 cloverleaf

colibriman - 6/2/05 at 06:14 PM

try a search on ebay for an alfasud gearbox?

DorsetStrider - 6/2/05 at 06:35 PM

how about if I constructed some sort of cable activated caliper that worked directly on the axels rather than the whees themselves?

colibriman - 6/2/05 at 07:44 PM

I would imagine that would be fine...thats how the alfasud worked - the discs are on the inner ends of the driveshafts...

Aren't there some porsche's likee this too...there are probably others. thinking about it, Quads have a single disc on the rear axle in the middle

Hope this helps
Colin

Hugh Paterson - 6/2/05 at 10:18 PM

Steve Turner has some cable operated calipers available for just such a use, dont know how it goes with the SVA though, would not hurt to u2u him for details (aka tadltd)
Shug.

Rorty - 8/2/05 at 08:01 AM

Airheart and Wilwood do cable activated single pot calipers.

imull - 8/2/05 at 07:06 PM

Quad bikes normally have a locked diff dont they? so can cope with 1 disc.

What about fitting a secondary caliper that has the cable gubbins on it already. That will allow you to leave the cable slightly slack and have a hydraulic system on teh normal calipers ~ great for any playing you wish to do and totally legal.

Alternatively get front calipers off a Citroen BX or whatever one had teh front wheel handbrake