Board logo

Luego Viento Rover V8 exhaust fitting
phil4521 - 9/8/09 at 06:29 PM

Just when I thought I was getting towards the end of the build the shoody quality of most of the parts have tried to fit over the 4 years comes back to haunt me- this time an expensive part-one side I hooked up the silencer to the down pipe using the small linking pipe- with a little hacksawing it its looks close- just need to bend the pipe downward which I can do with my hands- so I thought the other side will be easy- wrong-its miles out ( 3-4 inches actually) so have cut some of the downpipe off but the angle is all wrong and need to bend the whole lot downwards by 4-5 inches to hanve any chance of getting the pipe down to base of the car floor where I fit the bracket - I could warm the whole thing up and try bending it with a crowbar or try to get an internediate piple bent to give me the angle grrrr... I thought this was and afternoon job- should know better by now...... Any help please? Dont realy want to risk breaking the expensive exhaust by bending it too far...

Also started her up yesterday with silencers on- not half as impressive as without- still lots of poo coming out of the pipes and my two rocker cover oil fume filters are 'gassing' a lot- need to check the mixture but a little worrying given the engine has been rebuilt- hope cos its new! Only the third start up...

Any advise on the brackets used for the exhaust also welcomed- looks like 2X M8 robber bobbins and and a flat plate drilled...

:mad

thanks

Paul (Notts) - 9/8/09 at 07:04 PM

a few pics of the exhaust system would help get some comments on how to solve the issue...

ps - Its all worth it in the end when you drive home with a MAC and a big smile.

Paul

wilkingj - 9/8/09 at 07:45 PM

I had to cut one of the short pipes and bend in.
I cut a very small cut amost all the way through, then bent in, and re-welded with stainless Mig wire. You can hardly tell the difference as its right next to the factor weld.

Pictures of your would help.

simonk - 10/8/09 at 10:54 AM

Hi phil

Had to get some bends made and get the whole lot re-welded by a very nice man in Bedford. You're very welcome to come over for a look or I could drive over one evening this week as long as the weather stays fine.... Let me know.

Oh, and on the engine, I had a really good mobile tuning guy come over and set up the mixture and timeing etc - got the emissions spot on. Not exactly a full rolling road tune so the carb still needs final dialling in but close enough to be fun...

Cheers
Simon