Board logo

Pictures of 'IVA'ed' Break Bias bar ?
Tris - 22/5/11 at 01:48 PM

Hello All,

Does anyone have a picture that they could share showing a break bias assembly thats been modified (and passed) a recent IVA test ?

Heard that split plins and locking wire can now be used instead of welding, so hoping to just drill / split pin the assembly.

Cheers and Thanks
Tris

big_wasa - 22/5/11 at 03:09 PM

Its not that easy. You will find the accepted method varies from tester to tester.

loggyboy - 22/5/11 at 04:34 PM

Lock wire shouldnt be a problem for IVA as it specfically mentions lock wire in the Manual, so cant see an tester arguing.

Thurbs - 22/5/11 at 06:15 PM

I was told when i had my IVA at nottingham that a nyloc nut is ok as it's deemed good enough to hold things like suspension together so should be acceptable for bias bar.
May only be nottingham though as the rules seem to be interpretated differently in other test centres.
Mine passed with all visible thread removed drilled and pinned.

40inches - 22/5/11 at 09:26 PM

As said, drilled nut and lock wire is stipulated as acceptable in the manual, positive pass.

Hartnell - 31/5/11 at 05:35 PM

Hi All,

I thought that I was nearly ready for IVA but I'm not sure now....Ref:- Bias Bar.....How cam this be checked/tested before going to IVA and I'm told that I will need a Bias bar sticker.....Whats that for? and Where does it go?

Andy

loggyboy - 31/5/11 at 07:57 PM

I believe i've read just setting it phiscally 50/50 should be enough to pass, however a simple check when driving will soon reveal if its set way out.

The sticked needs to say that the bias bar should not be adjusted! http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=153204
Stupid really, but IVA put it there to ensure that people who arent knowedgable from adjusting it unsafely and killing themselves.

Promai Joe - 2/6/11 at 05:14 PM

Hi there,

Mine passed IVA on the 13th May, the first inspection was the 1st April. I did not have the sticker at this point. All he said was good and onto the next think. I would say mine is no where near locked down (only on one end) and in its current position there is plenty of adjustment. Anyway I suspect this is down to the inspector on the day. Good luck

I can do you stickers if you want, in various colours, send me a u2u if you want anything.

wicket - 2/6/11 at 05:57 PM

Here's how I set mine.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=101587