Board logo

sierra shafts, changing cv boot?
dan__wright - 2/7/07 at 09:51 AM

ive cut the rubber boots of as they had perished and my new cv boot kits should be here later, just want to confirm how you do it.

i know there is a cir clip that holds the joint to the shaft, haynes says to cut the CV cover, peel it back and the circlip is under there, is there any other ways / easier ways as i dont want to damage the cv when i cut the cover off.

PeterW - 2/7/07 at 11:56 AM

Are they push in or bolt on...?

Push ins don't have circlips, you have to use a cone to put the drive boot on.

Be prepared to get covered in green smelly grease from inside the joints..!

It took me a couple of hours to recondition 2 driveshafts - thats removing all the corrosion, cleaning and regreasing and 2 new boots per shaft. If you take your time its not too difficult.

The proper cone lube is only a couple of quid a can, and well worth it !

Cheers

Pete

dan__wright - 2/7/07 at 12:12 PM

there push ins.

so dow do you remove the cv joint then? i have started cuttong one of the housings

tomblyth - 2/7/07 at 05:48 PM

Put them in hot water and use a cone! wear marigolds to grip the boot and use loads of grease . the trick is to get it on before it cools , once its on leave it for 1/2 hour to return to size before you fit the clips...

[Edited on 2/7/07 by tomblyth]

PeterW - 2/7/07 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright
there push ins.

so dow do you remove the cv joint then? i have started cuttong one of the housings

You don't.....

You only remove the old boots, and clean the goo out from there...

If you've already cut a casing then its probably scrap as the new casings aren't easy to get hold of. Probably quicker to get an old driveshaft off a scrapper and change the boots on it.

Instructions are here

Cheers

Pete