Board logo

Siezed caliper identification
marco - 12/7/07 at 07:37 PM

Can anyone identify this caliper which is well and truly siezed.I'm pretty sure its a Sierra one

Also any ideas what an exchange or new price is on these things?

tried all sorts to get the piston out but it's well and truly fast..

mistergrumpy - 12/7/07 at 07:39 PM

Yep. Sierra, same as mine. I put a track pump for a bike onto an old piece of brake hose which I screwed into the caliper then pumped it up. Went with a nice pop!

Thinking about it - 12/7/07 at 07:45 PM

I had a problem getting the pistons out of my cortina calipers. Tried all the methods recommended. It was the rubber that had bonded to the piston and not rusted.

I used loads of boiling water then pushed the piston in then it came out quiet easy after that.

blakep82 - 12/7/07 at 07:53 PM

i now swear by boiling water

worked on my ball joints

marco - 12/7/07 at 07:56 PM

I tried some compressed air but i can hardly turn the piston around even with some large grips.

If i do get it out it is likely that it will repair, should i be looking for a recon or new complete caliper. It must be pretty rusty in the bore..

blakep82 - 12/7/07 at 08:08 PM

where can you get the bolts for calipers from? i've got some calipers with a few bolts missing, and i want the proper ones for the job

mistergrumpy - 12/7/07 at 08:29 PM

My piston needed repairing in the end but the actual caliper was fine. Got a new piston from Big Redd or Bigg Red... whichever!

Thinking about it - 12/7/07 at 08:29 PM

This place for the bolts. They don't advertise them on their site but I have emailed them and they will do them. £3.00 per caliper for M16 calipers.

They also do pistons £8.00 if they are knackered when you get them out.

Thinking about it - 12/7/07 at 08:30 PM

oops forgot the link.

http://www.biggred.co.uk/

Avoneer - 12/7/07 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i now swear by boiling water

worked on my ball joints

I'm saying nowt!

If these don't have them, no one will: http://www.brakesint.co.uk/

Pat...

marco - 12/7/07 at 08:46 PM

Boiling water did it thanks guys...

Now there is a little bit of pitting on the caliper bore but the piston looks fine.

But I noticed the outer dust seal was hanging off and the outer rim this hooks over is very rusty and the piston has to run through this as well i'm guessing it has been sticking here.. if i rub this down and the inner bore a little what are the chances it will seal and work?

PeterW - 13/7/07 at 07:49 AM

Recon calipers can be had for £25 a side - mine are AC Delco rebuilt units.

IMHO its not worth risking it for that sort of replacement costs

Cheers

Pete