Board logo

Aldi Action Cam
RichardK - 24/12/09 at 08:43 PM

Not seen these advertised at Aldi before but if they have and somebody bought one, what are they like?

Seriously tempted as a snorkeling cam and then on the car when not on my jollies...

Linkey dinky clicky thingy didgery do dar

Cheers

Rich

austin man - 24/12/09 at 08:45 PM

same one in Morrisons for £99.00 so a good saving

meany - 24/12/09 at 08:53 PM

is it this one?
i was looking to see more of the specs.

http://www.atc2k.com/

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/cat-Lifestyle-sub-Weekend-Warrior-prod-ATC2K-MMK-Bundle---4-AA-Lithium-Batteries-and-Extra-Mounting-Kit.html

[Edited on 24/12/09 by meany]

dlatch - 24/12/09 at 09:11 PM

don't expect fantastic images but for the price good enough for youtube

phelpsa - 24/12/09 at 09:13 PM

I've got one, been using it for 2 seasons hillclimbing, excellent value piece of kit and a bargain at £60!

A couple of videos taken with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ZzCyin1j8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZg8fyiasU

Those are with the camera solidly mounted and group N engine mounts... hence the odd sound.

bigpig - 24/12/09 at 09:56 PM

I've seen them used a fair bit as gun cams or helmet cams at airsoft games, the video isn't too bad.

skodaman - 24/12/09 at 10:02 PM

Even something like a Nikon Coolpix would be okay. It records 25mins, is tiny and has a proper tripod socket so would be easy to mount securely. Again though the quality isn't fantastic, it's not bad though.

coozer - 24/12/09 at 10:03 PM

Look good, how long can the it record? Can it be output to something to provide a lengthy recording session?

austin man - 24/12/09 at 10:08 PM

recording is usualy 1 hour on a 1 gig card maximum 2 gig

austin man - 24/12/09 at 10:50 PM

If I recall corectly they are a little sensitive to sound / wind noise so a 7 type will amplify the noise rather than catch that all important sound. seems evident in the you tube footage

phelpsa - 24/12/09 at 10:50 PM

I use it on the highest quality (640x480 TV frame rate) which records at half an hour per gig (ish).

lsdweb - 25/12/09 at 05:52 PM

Video quality is OK - sound is pretty poor and doesn't like BECs!

In the saxo

Swift at Pembrey

Swift at Aintree

Wyn

antonio - 26/12/09 at 08:19 AM

can it be connected to a proper hd cam via AV port?

Stuart_B - 27/12/09 at 03:07 PM

hi, i went aldi today, none there no even a sticker where there where.

stuart

x_flow57 - 27/12/09 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart_B
hi, i went aldi today, none there no even a sticker where there where.

stuart

Same in Sudbury so I asked and they were stored under the till(s).

Nick

scutter - 27/12/09 at 04:41 PM

I got told they'd be in store in a weeks time! Could someone see if they could pick one up for me?

ATB Dan.

RichardK - 27/12/09 at 07:18 PM

I got mine, had to ask and they were next to the tills.

Got to say I'm properly pleased with it.

Cheers

Rich

ReMan - 27/12/09 at 10:08 PM

Got mine today.
To echo the above, yes they have plenty, but for some strange reason were'nt out on display?

The one thing I'm a bit pissed about is that there is no facility to mount it on a standart camera screwthread mount (like the expensive clamp that is on my rollbar waiting for a camera!!!)
Any ideas how to adapt/ modify or purchase to fit the 2" rollbar??

Peteff - 27/12/09 at 11:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Got mine today.
To echo the above, yes they have plenty, but for some strange reason were'nt out on display

Der, they are easily removed from the box and very pocketable. When they have posh whisky there you buy the tin and they put the bottle in at the checkout. It's because of the kind of clientelle they attract. You could make a clamp and incorporate a nut with the correct thread, if you built a car it should be within your scope.

ReMan - 27/12/09 at 11:47 PM

Does'nt explain why they were'nt in the locked glass display cabinets by the tills though, with the memory cards, digital cameras and other "shiney" things

I burnt out building the car, got no think left

David Jenkins - 28/12/09 at 09:29 AM

Although it was marked as a "Sunday special" - do Aldi normally have them on the next day too, if there are any left?

Stuart_B - 28/12/09 at 10:33 AM

yes, if they have any left, they stay there until the sell i think.

stuart

leemarkadams - 28/12/09 at 01:01 PM

I have the newer version of this, with the screen on the back etc and use it for my BEC trackdays. The quality is OK for the money and with a 2Gb card I get about 2 hours footage. It came with lots of mount options and I thought it was good value for money, just be aware that they use the batteries very quickly!

Lee

aitch - 28/12/09 at 02:04 PM

i paid almost £100 at dixons
and work well but the sound quality (on hayabusa) not so clever

aitch

David Jenkins - 28/12/09 at 02:14 PM

Got one - a late Chrimble pressie from the wife...

Not a bad bit of kit - reasonably easy to set up - except that the menu icons are tiny and really hard to see! It gives an acceptable picture - more than good enough for what I need to achieve.

As for mounting - I may modify one of the mounts that came in the package, as they come with a quick-release slot for the camera.

I had already bought one of those Hong Kong MD80 cameras discussed here a while ago, but that has a number of limitations (e.g. permanent in-image date and time). It's also more fiddly to use, and not as robust, I'd guess. Still produces a decent VGA image though, considering that one cost me £11.50!

David Jenkins - 28/12/09 at 02:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leemarkadams
... I thought it was good value for money, just be aware that they use the batteries very quickly!

Sounds like a pack of rechargeables would be a good investment!

scutter - 30/12/09 at 01:34 PM

OK, i'm a numpty, must stop looking in lidl for aldi cameras .

Does anyone know where the mic port is so i can cover it? The noise it picked up just from handling it doesn't bode well for being out in the wind on my rollbar.

ATB Dan.

David Jenkins - 30/12/09 at 07:41 PM

Looking at the front, it's the black wedge-shaped thing on the underside, below the lens on the silver part.

I have no great expectations for sound - I'll probably put some foam over it, but most likely I'll just manage without.

karlak - 31/12/09 at 04:57 PM

Got one of these up today.

Quick question -

You guys that have one. Does the LCD display light up when you switch it on? The manual says that the LCD will "light up", but mine does'nt.

David Jenkins - 31/12/09 at 06:28 PM

No, mine doesn't (and it's bleedin' hard to read too!)

ReMan - 1/1/10 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by karlak
Got one of these up today.

Quick question -

You guys that have one. Does the LCD display light up when you switch it on? The manual says that the LCD will "light up", but mine does'nt.

No it "comes on" but is not backlit

RichardK - 1/1/10 at 11:08 PM

Just go into the menu and turn the sound function off! If you don't want sound. Its in the manual

Unless you just want to quiet it down a touch then I'll let you off

Cheers

Rich

Danozeman - 2/1/10 at 03:19 PM

MM might have to see if my aldi has any left. That is if its still opn it is due to shut.

David Jenkins - 2/1/10 at 03:22 PM

The important trick is not to buy it with high expectations - it's a very basic camera that takes video that's of an "acceptable quality", no more, no less.

The big thing in its favour is that it's tough, reasonably water-resistant, simple to install and reasonably easy to use (if you can read the damn display!).