Board logo

slow pc at start up
markyb - 16/9/09 at 05:13 PM

recently my PC has become very slow when starting up (taking about twice to three times that it used to). Also (once up and running) after a while the mouse cursor on screen has started to freeze after a few minutes of use but the mouse is still usable although I cant see where it is on screen (hope this makes sense).

I do tend to keep the computer quite lean in relation to start up progs so dont think there is a backlog jam causing delay but once everything has loaded there are no hard drive speed probs - just the mouse issue (PS2 mouse)

I know there could be a myriad of reasons but any help would be appreciated as it is leaving me exasperated

thanks

beagley - 16/9/09 at 05:58 PM

It sounds like it could be a bent pin with the ps2 connection possibly, or some REALLY old drivers although I doubt mouse drivers have changed all that much.

You could also try upgrading to a usb mouse and see if that helps.

Good luck

Beags

austin man - 16/9/09 at 06:28 PM

have you emptied the cookies and temp folders in explorer?? it may need a defrag through system tools

britishtrident - 16/9/09 at 06:36 PM

How much disc space have you free and when did you last defrag the disc ?

graememk - 16/9/09 at 07:00 PM

download and run malwarebytes...

[Edited on 16/9/09 by graememk]

markyb - 16/9/09 at 07:04 PM

I did a system restore and this seemed to have fixed the mouse problem and the pc is a bit faster at boot up now (but still not the way it should be).

Britishtrident - on that partition I have less than 1gb left although it is defraged regularly - is this causing a problem ?

beagley - before the restore I did try your idea of a usb mouse from the laptop - thanks for the suggestion

austin man - 16/9/09 at 07:58 PM

try deleting stuff you dont need or use and get some more space

markyb - 16/9/09 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
try deleting stuff you dont need or use and get some more space

will give that a try - cheers

BenB - 16/9/09 at 09:13 PM

System store making it work again would suggest to me that something crept into your system.....

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/9/09 at 11:43 PM

msconfig and disable all the junk starting up