Board logo

mini windscreen
smart51 - 20/1/05 at 06:48 PM

what size is an (old) mini windscreen? I am toying with the idea of making my own body work which will be wider than normal around the scuttle and elbow and so a 7-type screen will be too narrow,

MikeRJ - 20/1/05 at 10:13 PM

A mini windscreen is curved though, so making a frame will be far complicated than the normal flat seven windscreen.

Getting a wider 7 style screen shouldn't be hard. Luego make the very wide Viento, and Robin Hoods are also a fair bit wider than standard 7's (about 4" wider at the back if the bodywork from my scrap RH is anything to go by).

If you really want to go for a mini screen I'll get my brother to do some rough measurements on his.

[Edited on 20/1/05 by MikeRJ]

Dusty - 20/1/05 at 11:24 PM

Coincidently RH screen size was posted yesterday at 985mm across the lower edge, including ally frame.

smart51 - 21/1/05 at 08:33 AM

the other attraction of a mini screen is that it is curved. Much better looking IMO.

As for making a frame, where there's a will ...

dutchsuperseven - 21/1/05 at 12:16 PM

I'm building a scuttle including the windcreenframe in carbon-fibre.
I will be using a Mini-screen, cutted to shape/size by waterjet. it,s still in the design stage. Rescued attachment 7.jpg
Rescued attachment 7.jpg

andyps - 21/1/05 at 10:22 PM

Would an MG Midget screen and frame be any good?

smart51 - 22/1/05 at 11:33 AM

MG midget? I don't know. How wide and how tall are they?

Basically I want to use a windscreen that is 1150 - 1200 mm wide and is curved.

andyps - 24/1/05 at 01:16 PM

Sorry, don't know the dimensions, it was the picture posted by dutchsuperseven that reminded me of a midget screen.

There must be an MG forum where someone could answer the question.