Board logo

Towing point on an MNR
bassett - 19/10/09 at 11:07 AM

Hi, at the weekend having a towing point at the front of the Vortx would have been real handy. At the moment only thing i could think of would be to remove the nose cone and just tow from the exposed chassis but something fixed would be ideal so has anyone added anything to theres with some pics or any smart ideas?
Adam

Flamez - 19/10/09 at 11:10 AM

front wishbones, roll over cage...

Gergely - 19/10/09 at 11:15 AM

We have done the exact same thing this weekend...
What we have done is very simple:
10 meters of rope, one end tied to the left lower wishbone to its widest possible point, the other end tied to the right lower wishbone. The middle of the rope is fixed to the towing vehicle using the towing eye of the vehicle, a mountain climbing carabiner and a pulley.
The towing rope forms a triangle this way, and by using the pulley on the rope, even in corners the rope is nice and tight.
It worked a treat, simple and doesn't require any modifications to the car.
I hope it helps.
Gergely

bassett - 19/10/09 at 12:34 PM

Front wishbones sound good if i was towing it but how about if it was on the gravel at a track would they be able to use they use the two points or not?

blakep82 - 19/10/09 at 12:36 PM

if its on a track, then the roll bar would be the usual place. seen then do it that way at knockhill loads

dhutch - 19/10/09 at 04:52 PM

Yeah, its very common to use the roll over bar.
- The fact that its so far back always scares me but im practice it seams to work.
- I even use the roll bar on mine to winch into the trailer with a length of rope for the first 2m so i done scratch the screen with the cable or have to pay out miles of cable. You can get it within about 2ft of the front of the trailer before it fouls the nose cone and then i put the handbrake on, leval the trailer, and push it the last 2ft.

But this is a topic that comes up a fair bit. The main problem being the the nose sticks down under the chassis rail.

Daniel

bassett - 19/10/09 at 07:12 PM

Cheers guys sounds like a good plan to leave it as it is and just get some tow rope

G.Man - 24/11/09 at 04:16 PM

NEVER use the front wishbones!

Dont ask me how I know.

Hellfire - 24/11/09 at 08:42 PM

G.Man..... how do you know?

Phil

G.Man - 25/11/09 at 04:09 PM

Lets just say the towing car took up the slack a little to firmly.