Board logo

reccomend a battery
Miks15 - 19/8/10 at 09:55 AM

I need a battery for my car. Going in a 1.6 CEC. Cant be as big as normal tintop batteries. But dont want it running flat on me.

anyone any recomendations?

Cheers

deezee - 19/8/10 at 09:58 AM

Whats your car running? Does it have wipers, fan heater, stereo, running lights, fuel injection etc etc. Or is it just a carbed engine in a basic car?

franky - 19/8/10 at 10:05 AM

odyssey(sp?) pc680, has no problem at all with my 3.0 engine, turned it over for about 3 days when I was trying to get my oil pressure up!

Miks15 - 19/8/10 at 10:21 AM

carbed engine basic car with just the essentials.

Where did you get your odyssey franky?

and how much?

Cheers

britishtrident - 19/8/10 at 10:26 AM

Small japanese car battery --- standard UK type ref number is type 054 or type 055

spec varies a bit
size is 180 x 127 x 223
36 to 43 amp hours
280 to 330 amps cold cranking.
I would recommend buying a Varta battery

For this and other battery specs Google Tanya Batteries --- they do a good mail order deal

franky - 19/8/10 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
carbed engine basic car with just the essentials.

Where did you get your odyssey franky?

and how much?

Cheers

It was £70 off ebay new, it was a bargin price but normally about £90ish. Have a google of power vamp racing, they sell them rebranded but for less cash.

deezee - 19/8/10 at 10:33 AM

I have an Odyssey 545 that I got for £50 off eBay. It runs my Carbed 2.0 RS2000 engine. Its 135 x 180 x 80 dinky little thing, but does the job.

bimbleuk - 19/8/10 at 11:33 AM

I used BMW/Hayabusa 19Ah batteries (YUASA brand) on my CEC Striker. Actually only two in the 6+ years I owned the car.

I'm using a PC680 on a LS1 5.7 V8 and it's fine for my car as it's not used daily or left outside. Otherwise I would have fitted a 900+ rated one.

coozer - 19/8/10 at 11:37 AM

Redtop 25 on my zetec, has run no problem now for nearly 4 years.

Bluemoon - 19/8/10 at 12:21 PM

I'd second britishtrident... Depends if you want light weight if so go for a smaller non-standard one, personally I'd go for a normal car battery.. This has already saved my bacon when the alternator packed up (mounting broke on the M40, didn't hear it nor could I see the battery warning light in the sunshine. Must have done around 30miles (on M40) like it with the dipped beam headlights on as well!)....

Dan

[Edited on 19/8/10 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 19/8/10 by Bluemoon]

RazMan - 19/8/10 at 07:38 PM

The Odyssey Battery would be my choice - really light, good value for money, you can mount it any side up and it cranks over V8s with ease

Tiny Odyssey battery
Tiny Odyssey battery

[Edited on 19-8-10 by RazMan]

perksy - 19/8/10 at 08:01 PM

odyssey PC 680

Plenty of cranking Amps and very light aswell

mangogrooveworkshop - 19/8/10 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
The Odyssey Battery would be my choice - really light, good value for money, you can mount it any side up and it cranks over V8s with ease

Tiny Odyssey battery
Tiny Odyssey battery

[Edited on 19-8-10 by RazMan]

Batteries go upright and that's that......
Dont believe the sales c**p as thy just want to sell you more battery's....

We changed about 1200 (yes 1200) that were on their sides....lasting 3 years max...install changed to upright position and 7 years on they are in better condition siemens wise than when I installed them. At a hundred quid a pop do the maths
The guy in charge had the sales manger of a large battery supply firm as his adviser... go figure.

[Edited on 19-8-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

bimbleuk - 20/8/10 at 07:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
I'd second britishtrident... Depends if you want light weight if so go for a smaller non-standard one, personally I'd go for a normal car battery.. This has already saved my bacon when the alternator packed up (mounting broke on the M40, didn't hear it nor could I see the battery warning light in the sunshine. Must have done around 30miles (on M40) like it with the dipped beam headlights on as well!)....

Dan

I drove from Cirencester to Shakespear County Raceway and back on my 19Ah bike battery when I forgot to connect the charge cable! That was just under 100 miles and it ran out of charge just as I neared my house. Probably would have made it too but the OMEX ECU turns off at a low voltage.

[Edited on 20-8-10 by bimbleuk]

Bluemoon - 20/8/10 at 08:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon

Dan

I drove from Cirencester to Shakespear County Raceway and back on my 19Ah bike battery when I forgot to connect the charge cable! That was just under 100 miles and it ran out of charge just as I neared my house. Probably would have made it too but the OMEX ECU turns off at a low voltage.

[Edited on 20-8-10 by bimbleuk]

Bet you didn't have the headlamps on