Board logo

Mounting a head unit in the dash
RazMan - 7/2/05 at 09:54 PM

I am going to fit a GPS head unit in a plain fibreglass dash and I have seen a few plastic single DIN pockets around but they all seem a bit weak for the job - what have you guys done?
Is an alloy version available? - maybe something that is pop rivetted in with a cubby hole under?

Hellfire - 7/2/05 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I am going to fit a GPS head unit in a plain fibreglass dash and I have seen a few plastic single DIN pockets around but they all seem a bit weak for the job - what have you guys done?
Is an alloy version available? - maybe something that is pop rivetted in with a cubby hole under?

Are you serious?

RazMan - 7/2/05 at 11:06 PM

Yup - I am building my car as a daily driver ...... plus I am 'navigationally challenged'

James - 8/2/05 at 03:22 PM

Matt Claydon uses an iPAQ(sp?) with a GPS reciever plugged in- seems to work ok.

Cheers,
James

chunkielad - 8/2/05 at 03:37 PM

I use a HP Jornada with GPS module and it works GREAT!!! A bit easier than fitting a head unit!!!

wheelsinsteadofhooves - 8/2/05 at 04:05 PM

was planning on fitting head unit too. not quite that far yet but most come with an ali chassis thinggy. plan was/is to mount this then use some ali offcut strips at an agle to the back of the head-unit chassis to the dash, either rivitted (if i can hide the heads), or arldited. should be up to the job.
OR
also toying with idea (though not sure how applicaple to gps), mount car stereo amp somewhere, with jack wire exposed and some sort of clip for removable mp3/walkman type jobbie. also a bit more theft proof.
just my 2 cents though - nice idea using one of those marine covers for water protection.
cheers

RazMan - 8/2/05 at 07:08 PM

I have already got a PDA stylee GPS system but as I want audio (radio & cd) in my car too I thought it best to combine everything into one head unit. I can just about squeeze some 6.5" components speakers in the sides, with an enclosure built into the double skin - I might even put a pair in the back too!

I believe in my creature comforts

The steel DIN thingies that come with most head units might do the trick but I was hoping to get something a bit more oem looking (if you get my drift) The whole car is being built to be more like a production car than a kit car and the interior is going to be as comfortable as I can make it - I am not too worried about the weight aspect because I will be using it mainly on the road and with 300 bhp and less than 700kg it will not hang about!