Board logo

indicators
tom windmill - 16/3/06 at 07:43 PM

hi,

i have just fitted new indicators to my car on the front but the bulbs are 12v 6watt so therefore they are flashing too fast so does anyone no if i can get some 12v 21watt bulbs or otherwise what resistors i would need to slow the flash rate down the bulbs i have are 8mm base and this is all that will fit.

Cheers Tom Rescued attachment IMGP2508.JPG
Rescued attachment IMGP2508.JPG

BKLOCO - 16/3/06 at 07:56 PM

I had exactly the same problem with my indicators.
You will not get standard 21 watt lamps to fit this holder.
However there are 2 ways round the problem.
1. Fit a load resistor in parallel with the indicators. If you have a 6 watt lamp then about 10 to 12 ohms will be about right.
2. What I did. Buy a pair of 21watt halogen lamps from Halfrauds and fit these. The problem is they have offset pins so you have to modify your lamp holder to suit. (Not easy.)

edit

By the way resistors need to be rated at at least 15 watts and preferably wire wound.

[Edited on 16-3-06 by BKLOCO]

David Jenkins - 16/3/06 at 08:11 PM

Plan B: take an indicator to a bike shop and see if they've got a 23W bulb to fit.

I bought a set of bike indicators, which came with 10W bulbs that flashed too fast, just like yours. I looked in the usual places like Halfrauds, but they only had the bog-standard car bulb, 21W and far too big. After a period of faffing around, I called into a decent local bike shop, and the bloke told me that the unit I'd bought now comes with 23W bulbs - right base, small glass bulb - job done.

These places hold a range of different bulbs, rather than the 4 or 5 sizes that most cars use.

David

[Edited on 16/3/06 by David Jenkins]

Peteff - 16/3/06 at 11:56 PM

Or fit a couple of bulb holders inline hidden out of the way and put standard bulbs in to increase the load.

02GF74 - 17/3/06 at 11:27 AM

if you measure the base; you'll be able to identify it; it could be a BA9; these are avaiable in 5/6 W and 23 W;

see here:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/lights-3/lights-3.html

maybe a trip to halfords/maplin may help.

fitting resistors in parallel is a waste of energy; better use it as light than heat.

David Jenkins - 17/3/06 at 12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
imaybe a trip to halfords/maplin may help.

Waste of time... been there, done that. If it's not a standard 12v/21W with a big glass bulb then they won't have it. Try the motorbike shop (who will, usually).

David

jos - 17/3/06 at 02:00 PM

Yup Ive got a box of 10 2 of which (or more if you like) have your name on them.

U2U me your address & I'll send them over

jos - 17/3/06 at 02:02 PM

...unless youre going to totalkitcarlive north in which case I'll bring them with me and save on postage