Board logo

Zetec Coil Pack
Billbro - 19/3/07 at 03:01 PM

I'm having a problem getting my engine to fire for the first time. Thought it might be the firing order.
Fireblade carbs, Megajolt and 1800 Zetec.
Do the numbers on the coil pack correspond to the firing order
( coil #1 to cylinder #1, coil #3 to clyinder #2, coil #4 to cylinder #3 and coil #2 to cylinder #4)
or the position of the cylinder from the front of the engine
(coil #1 to cylinder #1, coil #2 to cylinder #2 ect)?
Should I fit the leads 1342 or 1234 as numbered on the coil?
Confused.

02GF74 - 19/3/07 at 03:21 PM

to derive from irst principles.

Firstly Ford zetec firing order is 1342.

the coil pack is wasted spark right? so the engine cylinders 1 and 4 wil be fired at same time - one will be compression stroke and the other on exhaust.

if you take any lead from your coil pack and plug onto cylinder 1, you have 50/50 change of getting it wrong.

trun engine over, feel.see how it truns - if it tries to spark, they it is correct otherwise is may be trying on the wrong cycles so will nto be smooth.

then move lead to cyclinder 2 and compare.

then repeat for other leads until it is running smoothly.

--------
I would expect the coil pack to be number for the cylinders - most logical.

Peteff - 19/3/07 at 04:19 PM

They'll all be same won't they? Rescued attachment coilpack.jpg
Rescued attachment coilpack.jpg

David Jenkins - 19/3/07 at 05:08 PM

My coil pack was numbered alongside the plug lead sockets - 1 went to plug 1, 2 went to plug 2, and so on.

IIRC, one coil is plugs 1 & 4, the other is 2 & 3.

Or have I mis-understood the problem (again)

David

02GF74 - 19/3/07 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
My coil pack was numbered alongside the plug lead sockets - 1 went to plug 1, 2 went to plug 2, and so on.

IIRC, one coil is plugs 1 & 4, the other is 2 & 3.

Or have I mis-understood the problem (again)

David

no you understood correctly.

thingy bob was wondering if the coil numbers were for plug numbers (most logical) or for the ordere of firing (1342).

Billbro - 19/3/07 at 06:43 PM

Thks Guys.
I'll go 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, and 4/4, and see what happens.
That will just leave the VR wires to reverse.
Thks Bill.

David Jenkins - 19/3/07 at 06:48 PM

Put the leads right and try to start the engine. Maybe it isn't the VR sensor, and you would be pee'd off if you had to change it back again!

First rule of fault finding - change 1 thing at a time...

stevebubs - 19/3/07 at 07:33 PM

Quick question - which ECU are you using?

stevebubs - 19/3/07 at 07:35 PM

Answering own question - Megajolt

stevebubs - 19/3/07 at 07:36 PM

Is it sparking?

Have you tried putting a thimbleful of petrol into the carbs?

Billbro - 19/3/07 at 08:25 PM

Yes it's sparking. Unfortunately I have never heard the engine running as it came from a wrecked XR3i and I've fitted fireblade carbs. This gives me 2 unknowns apart from the megajolt installation. I've checked the timing and am slowly working through the wireing. I will try the petrol straight into the carbs with some easy start before the VR bit. I have downloaded a map for the 1800 Zetec running on twin weber 40s and programed this into the Megajolt. Surley this would at least run the engine, even if a bit rough.
Bill.

stevebubs - 19/3/07 at 09:00 PM

yes - that map should get you started without drama.

Gonna be something simple in the end....just needs a little patience... and methodical working.

- Are you getting Fuel into the cylinder(Wet plugs? Flooded?)

- Strong enough spark? Plug gap?

- Coil wired the right way round? Firing the right bank? If not, then you tend to get a *lot* of backfiring and popping when turning over

- Settings correct on ECU? When I first put my Emerald in, I forgot to enable the second coil driver so was trying to start on 2 cylinders (just about ran)

- FWIW, top pin of the VR sensor is the signal.

S

Billbro - 20/3/07 at 05:36 PM

Took the rocker cover off and checked the valve timing. Looks like I set the trigger wheel 180 degrees out.
Swapped the ignition leads about, put a squirt of petrol into the carbs, added a dash of easy start for flavour and it burst into life first turn.
Should have known that the trigger wheel was turning twice to the cam's once.
Bill.

02GF74 - 21/3/07 at 02:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Billbro
Took the rocker cover off and checked the valve timing. Looks like I set the trigger wheel 180 degrees out.
Swapped the ignition leads about, put a squirt of petrol into the carbs, added a dash of easy start for flavour and it burst into life first turn.
Should have known that the trigger wheel was turning twice to the cam's once.

No, that isn't right.^^^^ it is wasted spark surely?

If you move the trigger round 180 then you were 90 degrees out (due to fact cams turn at twice crank rotation and the cam timing is given in crank degrees - confusing I know so maybe I've got it wrong too?)

Danozeman - 21/3/07 at 09:52 PM

How come your running a trigger wheel?? Couldnt u just use the flywheel and crank sensor mounting on the back of the block??

Glad u got it sorted does it rev ok??

Billbro - 22/3/07 at 11:49 AM

Danozeman.
I used the 1600 CVH flywheel and starter from my previous engine.
Running well now that I have the timing right and a blocked jet in the no.4 carb cleared.
Bill.