Board logo

Alternator
r1_pete - 25/5/07 at 07:52 AM

Anyone used a bike alternator on a car engine? I'm stuck for space and need an alternator about 100mm or so diameter. Will have to be converted to poly v drive, any experiences?
Cheers.
Pete.

stevec - 25/5/07 at 08:02 AM

I have got a spare Kawasaki ZX10 bike Alternator and looking at it I would think the Front bearing may be a little small the take the load of a belt drive,It is normally direct driven by a rubber cush drive, But there may be some types that are man enough.
Steve.

Agriv8 - 25/5/07 at 08:03 AM

Have you had a look at the Kuboto alternator it is very small it might fit.

regards

Agriv8

fazerruss - 25/5/07 at 08:28 AM

If you can wait till after the week end I could have a look in my mums shed, there is at least 50 new or recon alternators of various types you could have very cheap.

02GF74 - 25/5/07 at 08:53 AM

think this one has coe up before.

bike alternators are fixed into the engine/geabox casing and driven via a gear so there is little loadinig on the bearings.

oh the otherhand car ones are attached to body and positoned to keep a drive belt in tension hence a fair bit of load on the bearings.

dunno how easy it would be to adapt a bike one; you would also need to work out the gearing i.e. puylley diameters.

r1_pete - 25/5/07 at 10:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
If you can wait till after the week end I could have a look in my mums shed, there is at least 50 new or recon alternators of various types you could have very cheap.

Yes I'm in no rush, collecting parts at the moment, and making sure I have all key components before a trial fit....
Cheers.
Pete.

Humbug - 25/5/07 at 10:56 AM

??? My Rover K-series has the alternator fixed to the engine block. My previous kit car had a Pinto, and the alterntor was fixed directly to the engine on that too.

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
think this one has coe up before.

bike alternators are fixed into the engine/geabox casing and driven via a gear so there is little loadinig on the bearings.

oh the otherhand car ones are attached to body and positoned to keep a drive belt in tension hence a fair bit of load on the bearings.

dunno how easy it would be to adapt a bike one; you would also need to work out the gearing i.e. puylley diameters.

MonkeyHunter - 25/5/07 at 11:31 AM

fazerruss You have U2U.

Cheers,
Scott.

quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss

[Edited on 25/5/07 by MonkeyHunter]