Board logo

MOT question no windscreen
steve m - 6/9/15 at 08:30 AM

Hi all

My car has been MOT'd at the same place for the last 10 years, and always with a windscreen wipers and washers
however ive taken the windscreen off, and probably wont refit it for a couple of weeks, as the screen wiper motor is buggered

when I have the MOT done, will it mention no screen fitted, and if it does, will this cause me any hassle with the BIB, if I refit it at a later point ?

steve

ian locostzx9rc2 - 6/9/15 at 08:40 AM

If the windscreens not fitted it can still be tested remove wiper arms etc if the wiper spindles are still on the car make some little covers for them and you should be fine. You can refit at a later date as long as the wipers clear the screen and the washers work your all legal so that's ok

[Edited on 6/9/15 by ian locostzx9rc2]

snapper - 6/9/15 at 09:31 AM

What he said, MOT tester will only test what is on the car

mike2704 - 6/9/15 at 09:41 AM

Hi,
All answers correct you only test vehicle as presented same as if it only has one seat fitted only needs one seat belt.
I have been a tester for approx. 20 years so many rules have changed but the basics remain the same.
Cheers Mike

chillis - 6/9/15 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Hi all

My car has been MOT'd at the same place for the last 10 years, and always with a windscreen wipers and washers
however ive taken the windscreen off, and probably wont refit it for a couple of weeks, as the screen wiper motor is buggered

when I have the MOT done, will it mention no screen fitted, and if it does, will this cause me any hassle with the BIB, if I refit it at a later point ?

steve

You do not need a windscreen or wiper system to use the car on the road or to MOT it, BUTwhen you refit the windscreen you need to have the wiper system functioning otherwise using the car on the road is a road trafic offence that will cause hassle with BIB

steve m - 6/9/15 at 04:36 PM

thanks guys,

MOT without screen