Board logo

New Westfield Announced....
stevebubs - 29/1/16 at 11:06 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35432687

russbost - 29/1/16 at 11:18 AM

Great! a driverless shuttle that needs a "steward" on board in case the emergency button needs to be pressed - so that would be a bit like having a driver on board then! One assumes that this would be just for the trial period? but then again this is the nanny state & we can employ a steward for less money than a driver so ....................

nick205 - 29/1/16 at 11:24 AM

Driving (travelling) costs money however it's done.

sdh2903 - 29/1/16 at 11:58 AM

I'm all for progress but really don't see the point.

Why not concentrate on a decent reliable public transport system in line with other European countries rather than silly driverless (but has to have a 'steward' shhh) plastic pods.

Good on westfield though must be worth a few quid and a good bit of exposure for them.

motorcycle_mayhem - 29/1/16 at 12:23 PM

Pointless, but a public sector box has been ticked somewhere, with tax dollars going to Westfield and countless consultants. If there aren't enough dollars, more would be printed. The idea of a MegaPod...

I would infer an ideal application for a driverless vehicle, gyrating around public spaces in cities, but it would be very politically incorrect to do so and downright silly in the current climate, so I won't.

Fatgadget - 29/1/16 at 12:34 PM

Way to go! Driving in congested cities nowadays is no longer fun.So yeah why not?

David Jenkins - 29/1/16 at 12:43 PM

Can't help thinking of the Johnny Cab...

watsonpj - 29/1/16 at 03:43 PM

Driverless transport great - just like the guided bus in Cambridge which also has a errr driver. He just doesn't use the wheel for for some of the route presumable because they wear out !!!!

chillis - 29/1/16 at 05:24 PM

I know westfield said they were working on a new GTM but that's a bit of a disappointment

perksy - 29/1/16 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chillis
I know westfield said they were working on a new GTM but that's a bit of a disappointment