Board logo

HAVE YOU HAD THIS BL**DY FLU THINGY?
matt.c - 19/12/08 at 09:43 PM

Out of interest how many of you have had this Flu bug thingy thats going around? Its just closed my local hospital for 2 days and my whole family have got it! Mine seemed to have cleared up quite quickly but SWMBO and the little have had it for over a week now!

How bad is it?

Antnicuk - 19/12/08 at 09:48 PM

i have had and so have most of my office! its a nasty one and i cant shake the cough its left behind. My wife seems to have dodged it somehow, maybe its Man flu

Richard Quinn - 19/12/08 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Antnicuk
i have had and so have most of my office! its a nasty one and i cant shake the cough its left behind. My wife seems to have dodged it somehow, maybe its Man flu
Nope! SWMBOs had it quite bad and now my teenage daughter has it. Her self-pity far outweighs any of my past theatrics.
I had a bit of a stomach bug last week but so far, touch wood, have avoided the flu thing. Actually, that's not strictly true. No doubt, like every other year, my body will only be postponing it until Christmas Eve!!

nib1980 - 19/12/08 at 09:54 PM

I had it for 2 days, my missu had it for a week.

it's horrible, take lots of lemsip and ibuprofen, and drink like a fish, usually hot tea to kill the throat pain

bigrich - 19/12/08 at 09:59 PM

mine took nearly 6 weeks to clear, coughed so much i pulled some muscles in my chest.
Most of the people at work have had it to some extent

philw - 19/12/08 at 10:03 PM

Is it man flu you've had or nomal flu(you know the cold that girls get)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EElqrgk4N0

splitrivet - 19/12/08 at 10:03 PM

Ive been Flu free all year but I'll bet a £ to a pinch of chinese dog shite I'll have it on Xmas day.
Cheers,
Bob

cd.thomson - 19/12/08 at 10:03 PM

Yep, had it for two weeks, first week was standard flu, and the second week it had settled into a nasty chest infection.

Still coughing now.

Horrid

jacko - 19/12/08 at 10:06 PM

Not the flu but i have been of work for 3 days with Gastric flu

eddbaz - 19/12/08 at 10:16 PM

I've got it now,sva on Monday and lots to do this weekend to prepare for it & I'm feeling i can't be arsed.Hopefully will be feeling better tomorrow.

mr henderson - 19/12/08 at 10:17 PM

Haven't had flu for a few years now. What I have had, every year for the last ten or so, is flu jabs. Last one cost £13. Worth every penny, I reckon. Won't necessarily prevent every kind of flu, but has done so far

John

davie h - 19/12/08 at 10:18 PM

i got my nose broke about two weeks ago and got the flu bug about two days later. try coughing on a bunged up nose thats broke. i still feel like crap and have a cough that could wake the street

Davie

GeorgeM - 19/12/08 at 10:24 PM

I haven't had it yet......
swmbo, daughter and girls at work have
all had it (bird flu) though

GeorgeM

Scott W - 19/12/08 at 10:26 PM

I've just got rid of if after 1 week but my wife has had it for 2 weeks. We went away to Bruges the w/end before last and she spent most of it sneezing/blowing her nose or coffing! Great way to see the Christmas markets!

omega0684 - 19/12/08 at 10:31 PM

ive been pretty much house bound for the past few months so haven't had the glorious oppotunity to meet someone with it, THANK GOD!

JoelP - 19/12/08 at 11:10 PM

i had a tingle in the throat night before last, diabolical sore throat yesterday, and loads of bogie today! Didnt stop me doing 12 hour days at work though! Face it like a man

scootz - 19/12/08 at 11:31 PM

Don't think I've ever had flu... had plenty severe colds / chest infections, but nothing that's laid me flat-out!

Dangle_kt - 20/12/08 at 12:02 AM

our whole family has had it, two days off work. Horrible cough - feels like I can't breath in enough, and it hurts like a bitch.

Feeling a little better this evening...fingers crossed.

clutch_kick - 20/12/08 at 12:02 AM

I was in UK in the begining of December, and sure enough on the last day there I got. Made the flight back home a total misery, and ended up sick at home for another 3 days.

MikeR - 20/12/08 at 12:22 AM

Simple definition of if you've got the flu ......

Someone has put a 10 pound note outside your front door. IF you can be bothered to get up and get it, you've got a cold. If you can't, you've got the flu.

I've had the flu for nearly two weeks. Ended up coughing blood at one point & NHS Direct had me going to my doctors. Feel a lot better now but still not 100%.

twybrow - 20/12/08 at 12:54 AM

Had it, and shared the love around my office too! Still coughing some 3 weeks later.

imp paul - 20/12/08 at 09:27 AM

yes i to have got it and it went and came back again have had to stay in bed for days feel like death but hope it will pass asap keep taking them pills and plenty of vit c

Danozeman - 20/12/08 at 10:44 AM

My boss and his whole family had it/have got it. He ended up at the doctors cos he was coughing so much he kept blacking out.

My work mate went home with it wednesday and id spent most of the day before he went home with him so bastards law ill rock up with it xmarse day!!

I had a funny virus thing last week end which felt like my brain had expanded in my head, kept going dizzy and was completely knackered. went after 4 days.
I have woke up today and my face and ears are swollen up so hell knows what that is.

Theres alsorts of things about at the minute.

[Edited on 20/12/08 by Danozeman]

mr henderson - 20/12/08 at 11:44 AM

It sounds like it would be a really good idea for anyone here who hasn't already had one to get down to thier surgery and pay £13 and get the flu vaccine.

Some people qualify for it FOC, people with Asthma etc.

Go on, you know it makes sense (and it doesn't hurt either

John

BenB - 20/12/08 at 12:22 PM

You'll know if it's flu because

1) you'll think you're dying
2) it'll last 10 days to 14 days (and longer before you're completely back to normal).
3) there's no way you'll be getting out of bed- you're laid up.

What most people call "flu" is just a bad cold.
Which is why flu jabs do jack shite against your usual winter infections.

Trouble is, the people who need flu jabs (ie where flu could kill them) think it'll just stop a cold and "what's so bad about that" whereas everyone else thinks it'll stop their colds. Oh well!!!

chris_smith - 20/12/08 at 12:23 PM

my 4 kids have had it and the wife missed work last night its really hit her bad she never quits for anything so it must be bad, me on the other hand am fine, i put it down to long cold days in the garage making my body hard as nails, lol ok ill prob end up with it on crimbo day knowing my luck

mr henderson - 20/12/08 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
You'll know if it's flu because

1) you'll think you're dying
2) it'll last 10 days to 14 days (and longer before you're completely back to normal).
3) there's no way you'll be getting out of bed- you're laid up.

What most people call "flu" is just a bad cold.
Which is why flu jabs do jack shite against your usual winter infections.

Trouble is, the people who need flu jabs (ie where flu could kill them) think it'll just stop a cold and "what's so bad about that" whereas everyone else thinks it'll stop their colds. Oh well!!!

Ben makes a good point, flu jabs are only any good against flu, and even then not 100% certain

Never-the-less, if you don't want to get flu then get down to your own NHS surgery and offer to pay for the jab, and they will be only to happy to give you one.

John

piddy - 20/12/08 at 04:56 PM

I've got it. Started last Saturday and was bad for a few days.(Three days off work) Not to bad now. Started with the Mother in law, me youngest son, wife. Also loads off work at the moment. Normally if I'm off work sick I get the third degree, but this time it was "loads of you have had it".
I would call it a bad cold not flu. I had flu last Christmas,Now that was really bad.

quinnj3 - 20/12/08 at 05:17 PM

Mine started with a mild sore throat last saturday. It gradually got worse until Tuesday night and then stayed bad until thursday evening. I was working in London on Monday and Tuesday, didn't get back in N.Ireland until Wednesday morning where i was expected to go to work but I felt like S***e so went home and spent the whole day in bed. Same with Thursday. I felt a bit better yesterday. This morning I wasn't good but I'm coming round now. I have a bit of a stuffed up head and a cough but at least my energy is back. It feels much more like a bad cold now. I won't take any antibiotics as I don't think i've left it long enough. I try not to take meds unless i really need them. Only downside is it takes a good while longer to get rid of it. I'm just glad I got it before Christmas.