Board logo

Damn Speedo Magnet
thegasmen - 21/3/09 at 06:20 PM

I am Having Problems Glueing my speedo magnet on to the prop flange it just seems to come off all the time its fine untill i cane it then it just gives way ive used a new tub of superglue twice and also tried wurth twice any one have any ideas .what has everyone else used

Regards Mick

coozer - 21/3/09 at 06:22 PM

I used a rough file to key a little flat on the uj then Arildited the bugger on.

Still stuck fast after 1200 miles....

prawnabie - 21/3/09 at 06:23 PM

I had the same problem with araldite - I used that metal epoxy that looks like araldite at it has held so far for about 200 miles

Paul TigerB6 - 21/3/09 at 06:46 PM

Did you drill into the flange in order to recess the magnet a bit. Done this with one recently and it got araldited in solidly (and got a coating of glue over the top of the magent also. I recon a nuclear expolsion wouldnt shift that little bugger now!!

mr henderson - 21/3/09 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Did you drill into the flange in order to recess the magnet a bit. Done this with one recently and it got araldited in solidly (and got a coating of glue over the top of the magent also. I recon a nuclear expolsion wouldnt shift that little bugger now!!

But it might de-magnetise it!

roadrunner - 21/3/09 at 06:51 PM

Araldite has worked fine for me too.

westf27 - 21/3/09 at 06:54 PM

quote:

we could try that if you like

Jon Ison - 21/3/09 at 07:09 PM

Drilled a small home for mine too, 13k still on there.

Paul TigerB6 - 21/3/09 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

Aralditing over the top? It stuck to the sensor pretty well still, and is giving a signal pushing the car about on the drive so seems fine. Not sure how its meant to de-magnetise a magnet really.

Jasper - 21/3/09 at 07:28 PM

Yup - another vote for Araldite, and a smear over the top, 2000 miles no probs.... and stuck it straight to the paint on the prop.

thegasmen - 21/3/09 at 07:41 PM

Thanks fellas

Ill get me self down to b and q tommorow and get some araldite 2 pack epoxy

I thought of drilling it but im fitting it on the edge of the prop adapter flange so its a bit tough.

mr henderson - 21/3/09 at 08:23 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Aralditing over the top? It stuck to the sensor pretty well still, and is giving a signal pushing the car about on the drive so seems fine. Not sure how its meant to de-magnetise a magnet really.

Oh dear. Not the araldite, the nuclear explosion!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Paul TigerB6 - 21/3/09 at 08:51 PM

quote:

Oh dear. Not the araldite, the nuclear explosion!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Your humour has been wasted on me there Mr H!!

Thinking about it - thats the 2nd time i'll have nuked Richard Quinn's car in 2 weeks!!

1st time!!

rusty nuts - 21/3/09 at 10:42 PM

Managed to get my sensor to pick up on the propshaft bolts , if you try this make sure the bolt heads are all in the same position or it cause a speedo fluctuation.

RoadkillUK - 21/3/09 at 11:15 PM

B&Q's own 'araldite' is good enough.

LBMEFM - 22/3/09 at 06:45 AM

To add extra strength I have put small cable ties around each end of the magnet and glued them in too.