Board logo

Anyone use a roof rack?
number-1 - 4/5/24 at 04:53 PM

Afternoon All

Does anyone use a roof rack? Ive picked one up but never used it. Is there any regulations/law on the width of what you carry on it? I have a car for example, which is about 1700 wide mirror to mirror. Could i carry wider items and if so what is the maximum?

Cheers All

N1

adithorp - 4/5/24 at 10:20 PM

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overhanging-loads-on-vehicles/overhanging-loads#loads-overhanging-the-side-of-the-vehicle

AIUI the width of the vehicle is excluding mirrors.

Also I know someone who was stuck on the back of the head by something protruding out sideways from a car roof. He was left with a life changing permanent brain injury. The driver got locked up.

cliftyhanger - 5/5/24 at 07:24 AM

I have used roof racks for the last 40 years. Largely in connection with being a lardlord and buying beds etc. before delivert was a viable option.

The reality is that as long as the load is well strapped down (thoroughly recommend the buckle straps) and you have common sense, all is fine.
I have moved fence panels that are about 18" wider than the car (I used a herald estate for 12 years) but that is only a bit wider each side. and distances were not big.
I have also used a thule ski box for holidays, we had a monster one, 8ft long and 3" wide that we used when the kids were at home.

SteveWalker - 5/5/24 at 11:29 AM

According the Road Vehicles (Contruction and Use) Regulations 1986 (amended):

Front or rear projection up to 1m (no special requirements).
Front or rear projection > 1m, up to 2m (End must be clearly visible - i.e. marked).
Side projection up to 305mm (no special requirements).

number-1 - 6/5/24 at 06:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
According the Road Vehicles (Contruction and Use) Regulations 1986 (amended):

Front or rear projection up to 1m (no special requirements).
Front or rear projection > 1m, up to 2m (End must be clearly visible - i.e. marked).
Side projection up to 305mm (no special requirements).

This is what i was looking for. Once again chaps i appreciate the replies and the help