Board logo

big screen TV
dmottaway - 27/10/05 at 04:05 AM

local electronics emporium wants in excess of $500 to "install" a large screen TV.

we are not talking projection, just a 50" flat screen, HDTV.

whats the big deal? just take it out of the box, plug in power, antenna/cable feed,sit back enjoy. Or more?

thanx

dave

dl_peabody - 27/10/05 at 04:29 AM

One word...

Liability

Sorry I take that back.....2 words

Liability & Profit

Strolls - 27/10/05 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dmottaway
local electronics emporium wants in excess of $500 to "install" a large screen TV... whats the big deal?

My understanding was that big flat-screens are normally mounted to the wall, and they're big & heavy. I'm sure I've read on a UK website that sells these that they recommend paying a professional to install them.

I was glancing at plasma screens on the web last night & think I saw a wall-mount alone for £120, so $500 for installation seems in the same order of cost. After spening all that money on a telly you basically want someone who's insured if it falls off the wall.

Stroller.

paulbeyer - 27/10/05 at 06:09 PM

Yeah they are heavy but no heavier than a fully loaded kitchen cabinet. I wall mounted my 42" plasma on my own in about 15 minutes. The wall mount came in 2 parts, half bolted to the wall and the other to the back of the TV. Then it hung on the wall like a picture, simple. Choose the right heavy duty fixings for your wall type and you cant go wrong. (no where near as difficult as building your own car).