Board logo

Car change of ownership
cerbera - 14/8/07 at 05:37 PM

Seeing that you are all a knowledgable bunch, I'm sure someone will know the answer to this.

How do you change the ownership of a car from somebody that has passed away to another family member?

Thanks.

rusty nuts - 14/8/07 at 05:56 PM

Fill in the registration document in the change of ownership section.

cerbera - 14/8/07 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Fill in the registration document in the change of ownership section.

But you need the signature of the owner, which I wish I could get

andyharding - 14/8/07 at 06:15 PM

Oh they signed it before they passed away didn't they and left the details section blank...

caber - 14/8/07 at 06:17 PM

get it signed by one of the executors of the will with a letter from the executor explaining the circumstances. DVLA will probably make a meal of it!

alternatively don't bother and see the reactions to parking and speeding tickets for a dead person!

caber

Dusty - 14/8/07 at 06:29 PM

Sorry that you are asking this question. As I understand it the car becomes part of the owners estate upon his/her death. You would have to consult with the executor of the deceased's estate. It would be perfectly reasonable for the executor to allow continuance of use of the car by a person who had use of it previously, pending reading of the will.(and subject to re-insuring the car). Same legal status as the deceased's spouse continuing to occupy the house. Once the will is read and registered the executor can sign the change of ownership document on behalf of the deceased.

[Edited on 14/8/07 by Dusty]

cerbera - 14/8/07 at 06:35 PM

Thank you Dusty.

owelly - 14/8/07 at 06:53 PM

I inherited my grandads car and I just filled in the change of owner details and signed it as me PP him and wrote deceased above it.
Sorry to hear of your loss.

oldmanmille - 14/8/07 at 08:00 PM

I just pp the signature when I took my father in laws car. DVLA don't check signatures though

Sorry to hear of your loss, not a pleasant way to inherit things.

oldmanmille - 14/8/07 at 08:01 PM

By the way, I have senbt a few change of ownerships to DVLA without one or more signatures and never one has been returned or queried..