Board logo

"value" of an MOT
smart51 - 3/2/08 at 09:08 PM

My mum is going to sell her 1998 saxo. With 72000 miles, autotrader reckons £645 in a private sale. The MOTs up in about 6 weeks though. She wants to know how much less its worth with 1 month of MOT left and how much more if she got one done. Any suggestions?

onzarob - 3/2/08 at 09:10 PM

A car with a short or no MOT makes a car look like it has a fault.

I've tried before to sell a good car without an MOT and it just difficult to sell

big_wasa - 3/2/08 at 09:16 PM

You will sell it much quicker with a 12 months Mot.

Its a convenience thing for the new owner.

And to answer your question, convenience is worth money.

ch1ll1 - 3/2/08 at 09:22 PM

if theres nothing wrong with the car, re mot it !

it will sell quicker and get more money !

in my eyes its not worth anything if its not got an mot !
if you know what i mean

paul

RichieW - 3/2/08 at 09:22 PM

Any buyer is going to factor in about £200 of maintenance to get an old car through without an MOT. I know I would under most scenarios unless I knew the car really well. You often don't manage to pick up all the faults during a quick once over before you buy and old cars usually have plenty of faults.

I reckon the car would sell much quicker with an MOT although you probably wont get any more for it. Its a buyers market at the bottom end.

RazMan - 3/2/08 at 09:22 PM

I recently bought a runabout on eBay and part of my search criteria was a current MOT - anything less than 6 months and I looked elsewhere.

rayward - 3/2/08 at 09:27 PM

imho a years MOT just makes the car more saleable, rather than adding value,but saying that i wouldn;t buy a "normal" car with anything less than 6 months MOT

mot it and just add the cost to the asking price, pretty sure it will benefit you in the end

Ray

Miks15 - 3/2/08 at 09:34 PM

you can MOT it a month b4 its due anyway can't you?
so just wait a week or 2 and mot it quicker sale and you will make money on it i reckon.

Danozeman - 3/2/08 at 09:38 PM

As said a car with more than 6 months test is much more saleable than one without. Especially with only 6 weeks left. If theres nowt wrong with it 50 quid for a ticket is worth it. Ask a touch more money if u need to cover it. I wouldnt sell a car with only 6 weeks test. You wont get many takers.

You can MOT a car at anytime you dont have to wait a year.

Jon Ison - 3/2/08 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
you can MOT it a month b4 its due anyway can't you?
so just wait a week or 2 and mot it quicker sale and you will make money on it i reckon.

spot on, wait 2 weeks and sell it with 13 months MOT.

smart51 - 3/2/08 at 10:11 PM

Thanks guys. My mum was expecting a value of £50-£100 so didn't want to buy an MOT. For 650, she said she'll get it done.

Jon Ison - 3/2/08 at 10:12 PM

TBH I doubt it would sell without, if it did the price would be insulting.

Dazza - 4/2/08 at 08:28 AM

with all the comments.

short mot is the same as no mot really.

13 months mot in a car will make it sell at very close, if not exactly for the asking price if its a good car.

an old car with no mot is not worth any more than scrap value generally, as just a few minor problems, like a bit of welding, wipers, tyre etc can add up to £300 very easily.............

bimbleuk - 4/2/08 at 08:39 AM

Here's an example.

I just bought a car because it had 3 MOT fail items which the owner was quoted £400 to fix by a garage. The car would have been worth £600 with the MOT.

I offered £50 to take it away because the MOT had run out and spent £60 getting it throught the MOT!