Board logo

The F20 and the K20 engines
clutch_kick - 22/12/08 at 12:18 PM

Would anyone know what the major differences between the F20 and the K20 are? Apart from the axes they are mounted at.

Can i just use a K20A engine with the F20C ECU and gearbox? I know this may sound like a big hassle but beleive me it will save me roughly £3000 when I get it registered for road use here in Malta.

ruudbeckers - 22/12/08 at 12:42 PM

The K20A engine doesn't fit to the gearbox of an f20c. The K20A also has I-Vtec which the f20c doesn't have, so I think you can also not use the ECU.

clutch_kick - 22/12/08 at 12:48 PM

I see, I was led to believe they were the same block. Thanks.

fesycresy - 22/12/08 at 03:35 PM

Do they spin the same way ?

pwl - 22/12/08 at 08:08 PM

Yes they spin the same way

You can make a adapter plate for the gearbox, it has binn done before the other way around F20C engine to K20 gearbox.

The ECU is a no go . You will need a stand alone ECU anyway, you will not get the stock ecu to run correct, it will be in limp mode because of missing emmision components.

PWL

clutch_kick - 22/12/08 at 11:27 PM

thanks PWL. Yes I was thinking about using an AEM EMS ecu and MXL Strada dash display.

The question regarding the K20A was purely due to the fact that on the civic it produces less CO2 per Km, so less tax when i register the car. So I guess F20C it will be.

MikeRJ - 22/12/08 at 11:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clutch_kick
The question regarding the K20A was purely due to the fact that on the civic it produces less CO2 per Km, so less tax when i register the car. So I guess F20C it will be.

Surely that only holds true if used with the original ECU and emissions components? The CO2 output will be reduced in a lighter car anyway, is that not taken into account?

clutch_kick - 22/12/08 at 11:57 PM

that is what we have been trying to explain to them. it's like explaining integration to a pea-pod. so i gave up.

to be fair, it's not really the employees that are stupid, they are following the regs. some of them are actually really nice, and smart. it's the policy makers, ie the politicians, that are trying to be holier than the pope, with all this emissions crap. They got it all wrong.

[Edited on 22/12/08 by clutch_kick]

pwl - 23/12/08 at 05:54 AM

About the display, if you are going to use the S2000 wire harness, I think you should consider using the S2000 display.
If you look at the wiring diagram, you will see that a lot of the circuits have, components located in the display.

PWL

clutch_kick - 23/12/08 at 10:23 AM

Thanks PWL. I'll take that into consideration then. Just out of curiosity, have you managed to use the OEM Dash fuel display?

pwl - 23/12/08 at 11:09 AM

Yes I have got the fuel level display to work, I have mounted the stock S2000 fuel level sender in the fuel tank, and it fits very well.

Sorting out the wiring was by far the biggest job in getting the F20C engine to run, I have spend more than 100 hours on it, and I am an electrical engineer by profession.

There are so many systems you have get rid of (radio, aircon/ventilation, electric windows, airbags, electric top, electric power steering, electric locks, and the list goes on and on)

PWL

clutch_kick - 23/12/08 at 11:45 AM

PWl ... you're not coming to Malta for a holiday by any chance are you ? lol

I did attend a basic Auto electrics course but I am no engineer I'll have a chat with Chris at MNR and see what he suggests then. I wanted to use a bike engine, but that will be A LOT more expensive to register (no M1 certificate stating CO2 emissions). That would have been a lot easier.