Board logo

Z20LER Dual Mass Flywheel to Solid Conversion
plentywahalla - 10/2/10 at 04:40 PM

I have a Lotus Europa S engine which is a Z20LER (same as a VX220 Turbo)

I bought a Heavy Duty Type 9 gearbox and a bellhousing from Yukspeed to adapt it to the engine.

Problem is the engine is fitted with a Dual Mass flywheel which is about 25mm too thick to allow the bellhousing to mate to the crankcase.

I have seen solid flywheel conversions. But they are designed to be the same thickness as the DMF and are marketed as a low cost option to replace knackered or exploded ones.

Where can I get a solid flywheel which is the standard thickness which the Bellhousing is designed to fit.

I have tried dealers and breakers but the first question is 'whats your vehicle reg' so I just hang up!

MikeFellows - 10/2/10 at 04:42 PM

just so you know its not the same engine that is in a VX220 Turbo

The VX220 has a Z20LET the Astra VXR has an Z20LEH

I believe the Z20LER is from a Astra Sri

blakep82 - 10/2/10 at 05:05 PM

i think all these engines have the same block as the c20xe, x20xev, z20let, z20leh blah blah
soo, can you get a flywheel from a xe or ecotec xev engine? I've got the ecotec in my car with sierra clutch plate yukspeed bellhousing and type 9, cd.thomson has a xe with similar set up.
would a flywheel from one of them be an option?

if thats your engine in your avatar, the top cover looks just like my ecotec (only mine says vauxhall, not lotus) so i would imagine an ecotec from a vectra or astra (from around 1998, if you want to pick a random one out the street for its reg number ) would be your best bet. don't quote me on that though.

[Edited on 10/2/10 by blakep82]

alistairolsen - 10/2/10 at 05:08 PM

The xe and later xev engines had a different flywheel bolt pattern (xes were 8 bolt and xevs 6 or vice versa)

I suspect the xev flywheel will fit fine, but you might want to get the bottom end balanced along with the clutch after swapping them.

liam.mccaffrey - 10/2/10 at 05:24 PM

I have a scrap xev in the shed you're welcome to the flywheel for beer money and postage

plentywahalla - 10/2/10 at 07:32 PM

... How much beer can you drink?

The flywheel I need is a 6 bolt pattern. from what I have been able to work out anything 1.8 or less has a smaller ringgear and XE's have 8 bolts.

philw - 10/2/10 at 08:49 PM

What you need is an Opel Manta 1.8 flywheel and starter, you will have to drill the bolt holes in the flywheel though.

repper - 10/2/10 at 09:45 PM

my wifes zafira has the z20let engine in it ive just fitted a lightened flywheel and alloy crank pully to it i did the job at my mates garage so ill see if he still has them lying around and if its any good to you you can have it
i got the new bit off steve at LMF vauxhall
www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk