Board logo

Zetec Engine Mounts
StuartA - 21/8/02 at 11:41 AM

I know I've asked this before, but figure some of the new members might be able to help me out. We are planning to mount a 1.8 Zetec into our Luego chassis, but are having trouble sourcing engine mounts. Wondering if anyone else knows where we can get some? We have had various offers from people willing to make them, but this involves somehow getting all the relevant measurements. Any ideas... someone out there must have done this!!

Jon Ison - 22/8/02 at 04:27 PM

you may have trouble on here with that one, its the sorta thing most on here would just make.....

make a plate and bolt it to engine, bolt mount to chassis, fill gap with 1" box or whatever tsakes your fancey...

Marcus - 22/8/02 at 07:56 PM

Yeah, so easy to make, why bother spending dosh. As Jon says two plates, one on engine, one on chassis, put engine on hoist or jack in approximately the right position and weld a piece of tube (I think 1 inch may be a bit small) between the two. Hey presto.

Marcus

Jon Ison - 22/8/02 at 08:01 PM

sorry marcus, forgot we was talkin heavy metal, got carried away.......

StuartA - 23/8/02 at 03:53 PM

Thanks for that guys... sounds so simple when you put it like that but the problem is a distinct lack of welding skills (and equipment). Don't want the thing to self destruct on its first run!

I guess we just make the thing in wood first (to get the measurements) and then take it to someone who can do as you suggest

jbmcsorley - 4/9/02 at 02:34 PM

Making it from wood is a good idea. Here's some other tricks...

Put rubber pencil erasers in the bolt holes on the block (not too far in... you need to pull them out later). Dab the eraser ends with grease or something similiar to temporary paint. Press cardboard, wood, or plate steel against the rubber erasers. There's your bolt pattern... just drill through the grease spots with a bit that is a little larger than the bolts.

The damper/rubber mount is something you'll probably want to weld or bolt to the chassis... hopefully a bolt hole is already there for the task. I've been told the MGB engine mount is well suited for the task and easy to find. This assembly should have an upper plate for welding as part of the engine support.

So, the next trick is to use a piece of cardboard tubing or toilet tissue roll and cut angles on it to simulate the support tube between the engine plate and the upper plate of the rubber mount.

You could even glue the tube to a mockup of the plates and you're left with a full scale prototype! (won't hold much weight though)

-Jim M.

StuartA - 5/9/02 at 11:45 AM

Thanks for those suggestions Jim. We have the engine rubbers already so those won't be a problem, and we were simply going to cut wood diagonals between the two plates rather than the cardboard tube suggestion.

The bolt pattern is a good idea, I like that :-)

Progress has definitely been slow over the summer months but hopefully once we get these mounts sorted, we will be back up to speed again. Saw a yellow 7 (definitely looked of the homegrown variety) just outside Stowmarket last night which gave us a bit of an incentive. Anyone on here?