Board logo

400cpsi cat
Bizarro - 1/11/12 at 03:02 PM

Im running a 2.0 zetec on bike tbs and it looks like im going to need a 400 cpsi cat to ensure I can meet emissions for IVA. The only 400 ones I can find all seem to be the pressed ones ie not the round sports cat.

They don’t look very IVA friendly due to it being on the outside of the car and having exposed unblunted/sharp edges etc

Can anybody point me in the direction of an IVA friendly 400 cpsi cat?
Obviously Im not the only one using this set up, what are the chances of getting through IVA emissions with a 200 cpsi?

markyb - 1/11/12 at 03:09 PM

I cant help on the cpi issue but ther cat I used (loaned by MNR) had sharp edges - I used exhaust wrap to soften the hard edges and had no complaints from the tester

Bizarro - 1/11/12 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markyb
I cant help on the cpi issue but ther cat I used (loaned by MNR) had sharp edges - I used exhaust wrap to soften the hard edges and had no complaints from the tester

So did you wrap the whole cat in exhaust wrap?

AndyW - 1/11/12 at 04:13 PM

Might be worth speaking to GBS see link to their cat, its round and passes IVA on their cars.

Link to GBS cat

markyb - 1/11/12 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bizarro

I did indeed - get some long metal cable ties off ebay to hold it all in place

adithorp - 1/11/12 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markyb
quote:
Originally posted by Bizarro

I did indeed - get some long metal cable ties off ebay to hold it all in place

Wrapping the whole cat also helps it retain heat, which makes a big difference to your chance of passing. They need to get to 450c+ to work and plenty of people have had trouble getting them up to that with no heat shielding to help.

You can get through with a 200cpi (I did with my R1) but they aren't as efficient as a 400cpi so it can be harder.

AdrianH - 1/11/12 at 05:52 PM

Seems cheap at £40 and need a bit of welding but what about
eBay Item

Adrian

[Edited on 1-11-12 by AdrianH]

rb968 - 1/11/12 at 06:48 PM

I had spotted them myself and was thinking of fitting some in my new v6 exhausts. Don't need them till MOT time in 18 months but would be interested if anyone had used them?

Rich