Board logo

question about mega jolt but not really
thesnake505 - 16/7/07 at 04:33 PM

im in the middle of doing a mj convirsion to my pinto, and am wondering what to do with the original disy, cause i need the jack saft to drive the oil pump! which means i need the disy to sit there doing nothing, what does every one else do with theres? the reason it matters cause the car will spend time at shows with the bonnet up, and i want a clean engine bay! if it wasnt for this i would just leave the disy in place, cheers the snake

PeterW - 16/7/07 at 04:57 PM

I cut mine off at the mating flange, thats the housing and the shaft. Shortened the shaft by a few mm, then capped off the housing.

There is a bearing in the shaft that will take the loadings, and its oil is fed from the aux shaft.

Cheers

Pete

DarrenW - 16/7/07 at 09:51 PM

Im busy prepping one at the moment. Ive cut off the main body further up than robocogs, theory being that there is more shaft left in tact and less bother with the lubed shaft. Ill be able to fit a sealed to. It is longer but still left sleaker than the original defunct dizzy. Sorry - no pics yet but will have to move it on soon so i can sell my almost new electronic dizzy set up.

DarrenW - 18/7/07 at 01:04 PM

Just a quick question. As before ive chopped the main dizzy body off and filed it up. This has left original top bronze bearing in place. The shaft is a little longer (ie not cut flush) - does this need some sort of a retained to stop the shaft dropping down?

Reason to ask is that the shaft cannot move up when the lower drive gear is in place and the body itself is held to the crankcase with the clamp but i dont know if the shaft has to be stopped from dropping down.

Also - how much oil gets up the shaft? I can fit a cap and seal it no probs but curious if it needs a cap or not in practice.

Apologies for hijack but i hope it helps the original thread with some backgroung data.

Cheers,
Darren.

[Edited on 18/7/07 by DarrenW]

thesnake505 - 20/8/07 at 04:49 PM

just an update heres my dissy mod for when i get the mega jolt update

DarrenW - 20/8/07 at 09:03 PM

Thats a nice job. Looks better than mine.

Now you have a trigger wheel nowt stopping you fitting the MJLJ??? What else does it need?

thesnake505 - 20/8/07 at 09:09 PM

just a tps, i have made, wraped and fitted a loom, i just need to make the sensor braket which i may do tomoro, then i can mount the trigger wheel in place, and then run in the limp home mode! tps if i cant find a sutilble cheap on by week end im gona get on from the bay, its just i think 30 quid is expencive lol

DarrenW - 20/8/07 at 09:11 PM

You can still fit the MJLJ and run it in 2D mode at first. This is what i have done and impressed at how much better it is compared to the std dizzy.

02GF74 - 21/8/07 at 08:50 AM

just to side trac ka bit - can the cross flow distributor be removed?

As far as I cna tell, the oil pump is driven off the cam not the distributor - can anyone confirm?

DarrenW - 21/8/07 at 09:16 AM

That is my understanding also ref crossflow.

Snakey - the MJLJ will only be in limp home mode if it doesnt get a crank trigger input. With the VR input and revs it will run in 2D mode quite happily. Adding the TPS input adds the 3rd dimension and gives greater control over the timing. I saw running in 2D as an advantage at first as it minimises the number of advance sites that you have to worry about when getting to grips with how the system works.

David Jenkins - 21/8/07 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
just to side trac ka bit - can the cross flow distributor be removed?

As far as I can tell, the oil pump is driven off the cam not the distributor - can anyone confirm?

Yes - the dizzy is totally independent on a x-flow. I removed mine, and put a steel plug in its place. I put an o-ring groove in the plug to maintain the seal.

It gives an amazing amount of extra space!

As for MJ - I also used it in 2D mode for a while, while I got used to it. Even in this mode it was better than my Valencia semi-electronic dizzy, and many times better than the original points one. 3D followed later, as did dual-maps (one map for standard unleaded, the other for super-unleaded, switched from the driving seat).

[Edited on 21/8/07 by David Jenkins]