Board logo

Whats the quickest you can change an engine?
Andi - 3/11/08 at 05:29 PM

This is a very old vid, but still entertaining.
How do they bolt it on so quick??
Witchcraft and trickery methinks.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1956145/worlds_fastest_engine_change/

omega0684 - 3/11/08 at 05:59 PM

im sure this had been posted before, very impressive but very questionable!

skydivepaul - 3/11/08 at 06:18 PM

they just disconnect the drive shafts and engine mounts.

no coolant in it
no fuel lines - except for the fuel already in the float bowl of the carb
no instruments to disconnect

a very trick quick release bonnet.

still impressive though.

I particularly like the way one of the marines pulls out the bloke who was underneath the car to gain a few extra seconds

[Edited on 3/11/08 by skydivepaul]

MikeR - 3/11/08 at 06:21 PM

errrm - ok, i can understand how they did some stuff ..... like its carbed so only needs a fuel line, battery connection - could be rigged via the engine mounts that aren't bolted in, quick connector on the wiring loom. Accel and clutch could probably be done quickly....

But i don't get how they did the drive shafts and gear connection.

MikeRJ - 3/11/08 at 06:33 PM

I'm willing to bet they didn't connect the gear linkage (box already had a gear selected), and they would have had no oil in the gearbox. Since the rest of the car was clearly rigged for a fast change, telescopic drive shafts would have eliminated the tricky manoeuvring it normally takes to get them into the diff.

All in all, not really that impressive. Completely changing a non-rigged car engine in, say 1/2 hour would have been better.

Ben_Copeland - 3/11/08 at 06:34 PM

Holes in the Floor.... Flintstones Car comes to mind....

minitici - 3/11/08 at 06:42 PM

Along with a couple of mates we all had Minis - but only one standard engine which was capable of passing MOT emissions....
.... no problem, come MOT time swap engines - so we would whip two engines out, fit the standard one, get MOT and change back in an afternoon

slimtater - 3/11/08 at 07:15 PM

Which is more dubious - the prep of the car for the engine change or the presenter's jumper?

RickRick - 3/11/08 at 07:47 PM

my brothers beetle, 2 bolts hold on the bonnet/boot slam pannel, 4 bolts hold the engine to the gearbox, all that's left is electrics acclereator cable and fuel line out an in in 15 mins without trying oh jack the car up a little, shove a skateboard under and de jack then wheel out the engine

mangogrooveworkshop - 4/11/08 at 12:58 AM

My Baja bug had a ten minute change time.
used to have to pull it out to change the seals on the oil cooler....as it always leaked oil when we used Brazilian sourced parts as german oe stuff dried up.
four bolts fuel and the acelerator cable + leccy cables

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 5/11/08 at 09:58 AM

i work at the nissan plant - the lads there fit an engine 1 per minute - if theres a rework required where engines are changed - iv seen a complete engine swap from start to finish in less than 30 mins - with all trim removed and refitted, re-torqued, air con charge etc - very very quick those lads are..

Spyderman - 5/11/08 at 02:20 PM

I bet they don't work at Quick Fit!