Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wiring loom
nick205

posted on 25/2/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
wiring loom

Looking for some ideas!

I'm fitting some split corrugated plastic tubing to my wiring loom (see pic), but can't find a neat and tidy way to deal with the various wires that branch off of the main loom. Anyone got any ideas? Rescued attachment f7.jpg
Rescued attachment f7.jpg

Jon Ison

posted on 25/2/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
heat shrink ?

flak monkey

posted on 25/2/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Spiral wrap... or smaller diameter corrugated tubing?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Peteff

posted on 25/2/05 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Non adhesive loom tape

or heat shrink tube. Tape round the split tube either side of where you branch off and anchor your tape to it then wrap close to where you want it but leave some spare so you can see the colour and allow for cockups with the connectors.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

givemethebighammer

posted on 25/2/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
smaller diameter corrugated tubing and a few zip ties makes the whole thing look neat.

Trick is to run some of the small tubing inside the large main tubing then zip tie around the main tubing before and after where you branch off it with the smaller stuff. Hope this makes sense if not I'll post a photo.

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/2/05 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I used very small diameter split corrugated and sealed the join with self amalgamating tape

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

shortie

posted on 25/2/05 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Literally just done this, used larger convoluted tubing for the main loom and then the branches are in smaller tubing which is the pushed into the larger tubing.

I have then wrapped the joints with some insulating tape to keep it from pulling out the main tubing. The whole lot is then fixed with cable tie anchors and cable ties.

Behind the dash I found it a bit cumbersome to use the convoluted tubing so wrapped the wires in the non-adhesive loom tape.

HTH,
Rich.

clbarclay

posted on 25/2/05 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
You can get clip on T-pieces that go on the end of convoluted tubing. I'm pretty sure RS sell them, an they will go from a large tube to smaller ones.
nick205

posted on 26/2/05 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the hints and tips guys!

I think I'll try using smaller dia. corrugated tube and secure with self almalgamating tape as Mark suggests.

Off to the garage it is then

Cheers

Nick

Kissy

posted on 28/2/05 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Raychem produce moulded heatshrink boots (tees, 'Y's etc) for harnessing applications - cheap they ain't but they are the dog's nuts if you want a quality finish.

Master Distributor(s)

Rayfast
Unit 2
Westmead Drive
Swindon
Wilts
SN5 7SY GB
Tel: +44 (0)1793 439102
Fax: +44 (0)1793 644304
uksales@rayfast.com
http://www.rayfast.com

Distributor(s)

A.E. Petsche
Headley Road East
Woodley
Reading
Berks
RG5 4DY GB
Tel: +44 (0)118 9693230
Fax: +44 (0)118 9690037
abright@aepetsche.com
http://www.aepetsche.com

Alternatively this guy makes the best harnesses I've ever seen (he can supply Raychem bits too!). He is also a mine of info on ECUs, especially MoTec & MBE: http://www.gwrmotorsport.com/ (Steve Hurst)

ayoungman

posted on 8/3/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
loom

I raided the scrap yard and got two carrier bags full of the split corrugated stuff that Renault,Ford,Vauxhall etc use. Also picked up 20 to 30 of the tee pieces.
Total cost? £2.......

Looks good as new if washed in a bucket of soapy water. Every diameter from 5mm to 45mm is available. Av a look at some of my archive pic for the result.

"just like that !"

helen & phill

posted on 8/3/05 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I added heat shrink to the wires to stop them rubbing as they break out then used a smaller diameter tube and taped up the joint with electrical tape Rescued attachment loom.jpg
Rescued attachment loom.jpg

http://www.velocityxt.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.