Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: When Building Custom Chassis: What Part Sizes Do You Need?
Louis M

posted on 29/5/04 at 04:10 AM Reply With Quote
Front: I will read a lot more about this.

Rear: I still don't understand how the rear will be any different other than the book chassis since I will be using a solid rear (from mustang), similarly to the book... all the rear suspension consisted of was panhard bars, coilovers and the wishbones... so that will be straight out of the book right? all i will need is to compensate for the 7" wider the axle is...

crbrlfrost

posted on 29/5/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you'll get there Louis. And you're pretty close on the rear end, except those wishbones are called trailing links. A book design may work quite well if you follow it nearly exactly, but if you wanted, for your own edification there are some cool points to research in regard to four link suspensions (thats the trailing links part) and panard rods (depending on where they're mounted, they can be used to tune over/understeer aka NASCAR and sprint cars). Cheers!
leto

posted on 29/5/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Front: Sounds good! As I said before it's not to hard to come up with something thats better than the book. A really tricky bit can be to find/make a good drawing of the upright (Thanks Jućo!).

Back: A live axle is very straight forward and should not be any problem. What can fail in the rear is looks. When we were going to build our first chassis we started by fitting the wheels to the live axle, tried on the wings until the wheels filled the arches and then measured the distans between the wings to get the width of the frame.

Good Luck and Cheers!

[Edited on 04-5-29 by leto]

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.